1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100% O2 Clean Regs

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Ellie, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Can any regulator set be cleaned to be suitable for up to 100% oxygen, or do you have to buy one of these special green (or white) ones?

If so, can this be done by any LDS that does servicing? And how much is it likely to cost?

Thanks, Ellie

2. sira

sira New Member

Ellie, What do you want it for? you need (from my understanding) special O rings and grease but yes I think almost any reg can be converted if you can get the parts.

3. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Its all in the grease and the rings as the man said

4. sira

sira New Member

And the angle or the dangle or am i missing the point?

5. John_c

John_c New Member

If you need a dedicated O2 clean reg (1st & 2nd Stage) for use with 100% you'd be better off selling what you've got and buying new. Estimate about £150 - £200 for an Apex DST and TX40 new.

Will you actually be useing 100%? I ask because most divers never use it much above 60%, and most regs, (although managfactures wont give you a written guarentee) can be used with 40% with no ill effects or O2 cleaning.

6. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

Sorry John, but I don't agree. Getting your existing reg sets O2 cleaned is as simple as asking your dive centre to include it during servicing, and will add on a minimal amount for the extra parts (i.e. the correct O-rings and grease)

If you go brand new, and specificy an O2 clean set, you're going to get an M26 DIN fitting, something I would strongly recommend avoiding.

On the flip side, I can't think of a situation where you would want to use anything up 40% in your primary gas, so O2 clean only needs to be used for slings to allow for accelerated deco. These regs will be configured differently to your primary and backup, they'l have just one second stage with a small hosed pressure gauge (or air integ) and possibly a dry suit inflator if you are running tri off your back.

So if you are looking to prepare you equipment for your course this December, better to either buy yourself a specific set of regs for sling/stage use, or hire a set from the dive centre.

7. gerald1961

gerald1961 New Member

once you have set up the regs to use 100% o2 can you only use them at 100% or can you go back to air which is less than 100%

8. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

No, just just have to ensure that your regs are never attached to a gas source that isn't O2 clean, i.e it is only used with tanks that have been filled from a triple filtered or nitrox enabled compressor.

9. Sakara Drinker

Sakara Drinker Posting Sh*te since 2005

You can get personal filters as well. These are used on a filling line from an unknown compressor and filter the air into your cylinder. I have one somewhere but never used it. Beaver make it.

10. John_c

John_c New Member

Hi BF,

I'd agree that you can certainly get any set O2 cleaned (however there are some I'd trust more than others), but my thoughts like yours, in the absence of evidence, was that the regs were for use on high O"2 deco gas, hence my query over its use.

I would still advocate, getting/using dedicated High O2 regs for deco gases that are above 50%, but thats just me. :cool:

As also said, any deco regs used with gases above 40% really need to be monitored closely to ensure they dont get used on cylinders which havent been filled from clean, well serviced and at least double filtered compressors.
    As SD said, personal filters can be purchased reaonsble cheaply...

11. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

I can answer this vertually from a Scubapro managers mouth

All regulators purchased direct from the manuafcturer via a wholesale/retail shop can be used directly with Eanx 40% and below

ALL regulators sold as 100% O2 compatable are assembled within a clean room environment being that they do not come into contact with and airborne particular which would degrade there operation, however onced serviced these regulator cannot be assembled in the same manner and are in theory not 100% compatable but if assembled with the correct grease & manufacturers parts they will work fine with 100%

HTH my 2p

12. gerald1961

gerald1961 New Member

pardon my ignorance but what is Eanx

13. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Increased O2 content from normal air =21% so Eanx40% =40% O2 HTH

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Just being picky but it shouldn't be writen as Eanx40 as the x is for the O2 content.

EAN21 is air, EAN50 is 50%

EAN = Enriched Air Nitrox.

15. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

Yup, and in full-on pedant mode I can never understand why people use "EAN21"!

How, exactly, has the oxygen content of air been enriched to achieve the lofty figure of 21%? It's just air! :rolleyes:

Sorry, pedant mode off!

16. andy_richardson

Maybe the o2 has been removed and then added during the mix:lol::lol::lol:

17. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

I saw Nitrox 100% written on a website - otherwise know as pure oxygen I believe! :lol: