1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 - who's doing what?

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Wibble, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

What ever you want to class as advanced trimix lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. Nile

Nile New Member

Kinda, I think most people's Mod1 would be the decompression one, as you only do the air diluent course if you have no decompression qualifications.

I'd think most people going to a CCR have some form of decompression qulifications. So it then follows the rest.

You don't have to do the air diluent course first, it's just an option, you can go strate at the CCR helitrox if you have an OC helitrox qualification.

3. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I went straight to decompression ccr as I was already deco and advance nitrox trained

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Depending on the agency, some of it is down to instructor discretion, or it was when I did mine a few years ago.
    Starting from an existing OC trimix cert my mod 1 was a recreational trimix cert with 48m depth limit. The following year, after my mod 2 course, I got the 100m trimix cert so I've only done two CCR courses.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Shirley the main thing is to not assume that just by doing the courses it may qualify you to dive to whatever depth, but it absolutely doesn't mean you should dive to those depths until you've had a lot of practice and built up to it. Each 10 metres deeper brings exponentially greater risk.

As an instructor once said to me: aborting a dive at 10 metres is almost certainly survivable without injury; 40 metres it's likely to result in injury; 70 metres brings a serious possibility of death.

Leeb2018 likes this.
  6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

If we have a summer like last year I could be tempted to go for a paddle. OC single tank stuff only.

splinter likes this.
  7. jps

jps Active Member
    UKD Supporter

8. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

A few of my mates went there yesterday. Apparently the only bit you aloud to dive is 22m to 30m the deep bit is out of bounds. It has one container a lorry cab and a trailer in there. It's only small section of lake for diving another part is for fishing and the other part is going to be for water sports.

jps likes this.
  9. jps

jps Active Member
    UKD Supporter

And they don't allow solo divers:(

Leeb2018 likes this.
  10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Hmm it’s a bit more local but not much else grabbing me at the mo. Clubs talking about going early Feb so maybe we’ll go take a look.

11. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I think you have to speak to them to dive there. They haven't got a licence to open yet. They said hopefully they opening in February. They got builders going in next week. They want to make it like NDAC by the sounds of it. They going have camping and loads of water sports. My mate who went yesterday said if you can only dive the bit they was aloud to dive it only suitable for advanced and upwards training

12. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Ok. They’ve advertised opening from early Feb, 2nd I think. Not great to only get access to the deeper bits.

13. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

This is what I thought. I have emailed them to try and get over there my self to see what the crack is. What my mate was telling me didn't make sense. They where over there scoping it out for a padi dive club that does mainly open waters. Maybe or should I say hopefully they was just scaring them off. It is a chalk quarry so if there a load of people in there doing there open waters. The vis is going to be so crap

jps likes this.
  14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Holborough lives! The vis there was truly dire. Found it very unpleasant even for platform practice. It will be the same for most chalky south-eastern lakes.

15. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

After almost a year off , with a shoulder problem now succesfully operated on I have a red sea trip booked in August. I guess I best jump in a puddle and the sea before then.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Which bit of the Red Sea? Never been, would like recommendations.

17. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You've not done Red Sea yet? Get yourself over there, some decent wreck diving in warm relaxing conditions, perfect single cylinder diving.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  18. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Red Sea is worth doing once, or twice, and a liveaboard is the best way.

On a liveaboard you can expect 3-4 dives per day and many operators impose a one hour maximum dive time.

'Best of the Wrecks' itinerary (blue o two) is a good first choice and includes a few reefs although, IMHO, the reefs get repetitive (boring) after a while. I went twice and have never felt the desire to return.

My first trip was the blue o two 'Simply the Best' itinerary and I was treated to as a very close encounter with a white tip

Wibble and splinter like this.
  19. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Strangely enough some of us don’t really have much of a yearning to dive in warm, clear waters!

I might head out to the Red Sea one day, but probably only with my daughter.

jps likes this.
  20. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

While I enjoy the challenge of cold, murky waters, diving in just a swimming costume and t-shirt under your gear with colourful fish and coral is so relaxing. As they say, it takes all sorts.