1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Dive Computer

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Ellie, Oct 6, 2009.

?

Extravagant?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't Be Greedy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Is it extravagant to have 2 trimix dive computers?

Ellie

2. Angry Dan

Angry Dan Active Member

I think it is yes....

unless you go for one of these which will soon be upgradable to trimix apparently :

http://www.uemis.com/en/products/uemis_zurich

3. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

Okay, guess who, out of the current three votes, which was by Ellie, which was by me and which was Angy Dan?

Sorry hunny, but two trimix computers is a little bit extravagant.... I make do with just one Gekko!

4. Razza

Razza Member

You need to view it a safety item :) I'll be going for two, if I like the look of the OSTC MK2 when it arrives :)
    Although, I have some spare cash as I won't be buying my Ali40 now ;)

5. Ellie

Decided not to bother with an ali40 now then? ;)

Is that new OSTC the one that is going to cost a bomb?

6. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

Can we have an option for 'I'm not qualified to comment because I've never dived Trimix?'. I'm voting for that one.

7. Razza

Razza Member

Apparently they have run out of the special priced Ali40's :crying:

DR5 will cost a bomb apparently - see here for specs

OSTC 2 will be cheaper - see here for specs

I can almost hear it calling you now :)

8. SmartMonkey

SmartMonkey Member

2 Trimix dive computers is not excessive at all. If you're regularly doing that sort of diving. Just make sure you're diving 2 which use the same algorithm :)
    HTH
    SmartMonkey

9. Mrs Doc

Mrs Doc New Member

I was shown the new UEMIS computer earlier this week - looks quite impressive. It can be Air, Nitrox or Trimix, depending on what your set it to be and on your level of training. Cool graphics and lots of little gadgety things. Doc also saw it and was hoping to be able to dive with one - maybe he'll let us know. (Not we're not sitting in the same room - he's still in Turkey!)

10. Ellie

Have they got the Trimix version of this now? Last time I looked it was a very expensive Nitrox computer!

11. Mrs Doc

Mrs Doc New Member

Yes, the new one does Trimix too. I like the funky alternative colours it comes in - shallow I know!!

12. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

If your loaded not at all. If you like me in the poor house, Hell yes it is.

13. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

My reasoning for it being an unnecessary extravagance is that as well as her computer she carries a slate with the detailed dive plan written on it and a bottom timer. If something happened to her computer she could safely complete the dive using the bottom timer and the slate. The gas planning has all been done based on the slate schedule so its not like the dive could be extended anyway.

Rach

14. Ellie

Yes but the hinges on my slate have broken so it needs replacing. A Liquivision is a nice replacement for it. :sneaky:

Ellie

15. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

i did dive with this and thought it was a very, very good computer. You can customize and all sorts of things. I will let people know more about in due course, as the Boss says i am still in Turkey.

The Trimix version is in production at the moment, as to the expense, its not that much more than other integrated dive computers but at the end of the day its wether you think its worth it or not!!

16. Ellie

Its about £400 more than a Vytec with transmitter! You must be getting too much of a trade discount Doc ;)

Ellie

17. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

If it was me i'd have a trimix computer and a backup bottom timer and slate. 2 trimix computers would be nice but expensive.

18. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

I voted before I read the actual post and voted yes - I thought you wanted a modest bottom timer or the like. Now that I've read the post I'd like to change my vote to 'don't be greedy'! :sneaky:

19. Ellie

I already have a standard bottom timer as backup with my slate written dive plan, but they don't have much appeal in the shiny stakes. :tongue:

Ellie

20. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

I'll get the polish out so you can make your slate all shiney then hunny :thumbup: