1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angry Dan's Near Death Experience

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Ellie, May 10, 2009.

1. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Well today Angry Dan and I went to Vobby to try out his new Hollis wing but things didn't go quite to plan.

After a bit of poodling about getting everything set up we finally jumped in and started our descent. I was keeping an eye on Dan with all his new equipment and he was doing great. We got to our target depth of 22m and I signalled OK? And Dan replied OK. Cool lets go for a bimble then. I turn from Dan to get our bearing and do a few fin kicks in our chosen direction, when suddenly a very wide eyed Dan appears in front of me frantically doing 'out of air' and pointing to his reg. Theres a moment of disbelief then I pull the reg from my mouth and donate it to him, and get onto my alternate, but in the blur of the frantic moment somehow he has the reg in upside down and I can tell from his face that he's sucking in water, so I wrench it from his mouth and turn it round. I manage to calm him down, and we ascend in a controlled manner. On the surface, he's a bit shaken but ok, and we have a look at his regs. Dan says it was like he had no air left in his cylinder yet his SPG was reading 200 bar. Now back on the surface they work perfectly. Blasted things! It just goes to show freak things things can happen when you least expect it, and who really practices these skills enough?

All credit to Dan though, firstly for not bolting to the surface ( and possibly dragging me by my long hose with him! ) and secondly for continuing the dive after the regs appeared to work again, albeit a lot shallower than we first planned.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful after that.....

Ellie

2. sazza

sazza New Member

hmmmm thanks for posting ellie, glad your both ok. just goes to show how you cant practice enough.......and how quickly ok goes to sh£t and always when least expected.

3. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Well done to you both, new kit configurations should be taken slowly just to make sure. Hope its not given his confidence too much of a knock.

4. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

bloody hell, glad you both did so well!!! Hope your both ok and get those regs checked!

5. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Well done to both I for one know how the feeling of water in your lungs and mouth feel and thanks to my buddy i am still here today

6. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

True, but the one part of Dans kit that wasn't new was his regs! How much of Sods law is that?? I wonder if he'll have a shiny new set next time I see him :)

Ellie

7. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

hopefully if i can sell him some!!:scared::scared:

8. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Glad your both okay and good to hear that you were able to handle it in the heat of the moment.

9. Razza

Razza Member

Well done folks.

10. Angry Dan

Angry Dan Active Member

I KNOW I AM SHOUTING BUT THAT IS BECAUSE I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU AS LOUD AS I CAN TO ELLIE.

I have just got home and I can not say how grateful I am enough that I had such a good dive buddy.

I have dived with other buddies mainly when on holiday some have been good and some have been bad. From this point on if I dive with a buddy that is not following simple rules I will not follow them like I have in the past but will signal to them that I am aborting the dive as it is not worth the risk for either party.

I would just like to take this oportunity to say that if you are diving don't take your buddy for granted you never know when you are going to need them or they you.

Practising your drills on whatever course you do and whatever agency you choose to follow WILL give you the skills to cope with emergencies as and when they happen. There is a whole new level of panic that kicks in when you are on a normal dive and you suddenly have something to deal with that you were not expecting.

Doc following our conversation on Friday I will be signing up to do the Rescue diver course as soon as I can, so that if the need arises I will be as prepared as possible to help out my buudy as well as Ellie helped me today.

THANKS AGAIN.

11. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

well said that man! And i mean that sincerely

12. sazza

sazza New Member

just darn glad your ok and taking a sensible approach to the whole thing.

at the end of the day it can happen to anyone of us at anytime anywhere

13. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

if we dont stop agreeing soon people will think there is something going on...say something stupid so i can disagree with you again

14. Sakara Drinker

Sakara Drinker Posting Sh*te since 2005

Well done to both of you. The fact that you got through it in a controlled way is a reflection on the ability of you both. Thumbs Up

15. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

Well done both - and sorry to hear about the regs :(

Thumbs Up
    You're spot on in my opinion - but then I'm a firm believer in the team approach to diving. :rolleyes:

16. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

It's all very well training in the pool but it's how you cove when the **** hits the fan which really matters.

Dan you get my full respect for following your training and not bolting straight to the surface. I have only donated air once and was dragged upwards in an uncontrolled ascent as they swam up in a total panic.

Ellie, a big well done for dealing with the situation.

17. Woody

Woody New Member

OMG!!!
    Really glad you're both ok and well done on sorting him out Ellie

18. NO1U12NO

NO1U12NO New Member

Nice to see all that training becomes second nature in an emergency.

I was on a line last year in the red sea, alone after my buddy had surfaced, watching the fish float by and had a buddy group approach me with both of them doing the dreaded "I'm out of air" signal and their eyes popping out of their masks.

I thought they were taking the p**s but scooted a few metres down the line to them, offered one my octopus and shared my primary with the other. (One was a DM!)

After checking each gauge I saw they were not joking as both gauges were showing empty. Seems they'd got carried away with some stone fish at 25m and didn't realise until one ran out..... The other diver's air ran out at 10m with no safety stop.

5 minutes or so later, once the computers all said we could surface we did so as a 3 and I got free beer for the rest of the week. Yay!

If I can say so myself I was a hero I guess but when all said and done it was my LDS pushing me to practice practice practice in the pool that deserved the credit..... Because of the pool work I knew what to do, it was second nature, something I'd done dozens of times before.

My point is it can happen to any of us at any time, even after our buddies are topside, all dry and drinking Sakara.

Like the scouts say.... Be Prepared.

And well done Dan and Ellie.

19. Stephen Mitchell

Stephen Mitchell New Member

Looks like the curse of Angry Dan has spread to your diving bud. Seriously well done Ellie and glad you okay Dan. Thanks to you both I can push my regular buddy into the pool next week end for some practice. My youngest son has just finished his pool and bookwork for OW he's back in the pool for more practice at the weekend as well. I had a free flow last January at 20 metres but we had just started our dive that ended fine. But it proves how much we need to practice.

20. Angry Dan

Angry Dan Active Member

It does appear that I am a Jonah