1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buddy Commando + Dive Knife

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by SimonL, Jun 24, 2019.

1. SimonL

SimonL New Member

I have a Buddy Commando with no obvious place to place a medium sized (18cm including sheath) dive knife.

I've tried lashing it to the corrugated inflater hose but it's not great and I'm struggling to find a good alternative, so my thought was to consider if I could add plastic eyelets to one of the pockets and use the available screws to attach it.

Anyone tried this and/or got any better ideas please?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Smaller knife.
    Or a line cutter.
    Better still both.
    (They can be much cheaper).

The Remora knife is excellent. Short, very strong, sharp, compact and looks great after hundreds of dives (mine for example).

The Trilobyte line cutter is far better than a knife when cutting line, such as fishing line or netting. You're far more likely to get caught up in that than thick rope. A line cutter's far safer to use too. I'd recommend you attach the line cutter to your wrist, e.g. your compass. You can easily get to it and put it away. Useful for cutting poor critters caught up in fishing line.

What you absolutely don't want is some bloody great sword strapped to your leg. They're useless, very hard to deploy and re-stow, and a dangerous snag risk (I believe someone died due to a ditched weight belt getting caught). They seem to be popular with old-school divers and I've noted a correlation with swords and poor trim and finning techniques.

You also don't need pointed knives if you value your drysuit.

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Which version do you have?

For most versions the most obvious is as you say to put two grommets horizontally about 40mm down from
    the edge of the zipped pocket. While this may seem ok, have to watch if you rig alternative left. I'm right handed
    so if it's fixed left the handle is pointing forward if right it's pointed back.

Most of the knives fixed this way are done using screws like with the Aqualung squeezelock that fits onto
    pre-fiited grommits on Seaquest & Aqualuneg BC's

Cable ties can work, but that's when the model is important. Older Commandos have a much thinner pocket
    and will need a backing pad of sorts something like a small bit of plastic cut from an ice-cream tub to toughen
    it up. A good trick is to sew a bit of surplus material taken from the suicide bottle pouch to beef up the thickness
    of the pocket.

One other option on the latest model is to use the net pocket. Can either put grommets in again through to the
    inside of the pocket or another way is to cut a stiff bit of plastic cut to fit the pocket with the scabbard fixed to
    this. The velcro opening is then sewn up l(only through the pocket mind) leaving the scabbard opening poking
    out. In this case the knife fits in as if it was fixed to your belt, but ensure you have access to any retaining button.

4. SimonL

SimonL New Member

Thanks Wibble and Tel.

I have a fake (but good) 'Trilobyte' attached to one shoulder strap - neat, unobtrusive and easy to get at.

Not feeling £55+ for a Underwater Kinetics Remora, sorry (cheapskate that I am :greedy:). Ideally I'd use my old Beaver knife... which has a MASSIVE pointy 8cm! blade that I can use to battle with sharks and Russian spies ;) ... or find something significantly cheaper and sell both of mine (I also have an IST with a 12(ish)cm blade that is even more useless to BCD mount) - neither are worth much.

Commando is shown in picture here from much earlier thread, as is the Beaver knife that I'm trying to use and the not good mounting location on the inflator. Back of sheath has two screws with a plastic bar across, so should work with grommets or possibly on a 50mm webbing (if I could find a suitable space).

Net pockets are not ideal as can't reach either with both hands.

Definitely don't want leg straps...even with the risk of sharks and Russian spies :ninja:

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

They are popular with old-school divers because they cut rope, something we as divers swim around all the time
    and despite all the negatives about buoyancy and trim they have steadfastly refused to have any issues with weights
    getting caught :)

The reason for a knife on the leg is that if you are trussed up on the torso you have a chance of moving your leg up to
    access a knife. If you are trussed up on your leg can access the one on your torso. Sexy cutters are great for net and
    line, but rubbish at rope, so makes sense to have both. This is knife redundancy both in location and function.

If you can't fix it right to be accessed or have trouble getting to it or putting it away you are doing it wrong :p

In the end it's a all down to an assessment of risk. I've never needed to drop a belt (apart from training/teaching), but
    have needed to use a knife for rope on several occasions. Even if I needed to be rescued by a third party, the odds
    of the belt getting snagged at all or snagged and not being sorted by the rescuer are very low in comparison.

6. SimonL

SimonL New Member

Identical knife but different brand:
    51LfDOm28DL._SL1000_.jpg
    This is what the back of the sheath looks like:
    51ABxdpHBwL._SL1000_.jpg

7. John F

John F Active Member

I had one of those, I did one dive and the catch that locks it in snapped, so not very impressed.

8. SimonL

SimonL New Member

Agree that it's not stunning but not broken on me yet and didn't cost me anything :)

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I always carry two line cutters, one on the bungee on the compass (under the wrist) and one on the waist belt. The Remora knife is in my pocket.

Reasoning... have used the line cutter dozens of times. Most of the catchy stuff is netting and fishing line. I've used the knife only a couple of times; the first time I discovered how crap it was cutting fishing net off a propeller -- the line cutter tore through it. The second time was to saw through a thick rope which it was the perfect tool.

It may well be age, but I really struggle to reach my calves. Would hate to need to access a knife stowed down there, not to mention re-stowing it, especially with a sharp point and a drysuit.

Some cave divers keep a knife on their upper arm as it's easier to reach in a restriction.

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Knife on me leg, old skool stylee very handy for rope and urchins. Tough cut shears in dry suit pocket , trilobite on waist. Trilobite on your shoulder ok , most of my club have standardised trilobite placement to waist or wrist. Handy if your looking for one on a buddy.

I’d put the knife on your leg , for most stuff during a dive the line cutter will come first. Don’t feel the need to get down with the kids like @Wibble , if nothing else it’s an excuse for poor trim apparently?!

11. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I originally stopped fixing a knife to the inside of my leg after I tried to draw it, but could not, as grit from launching the boat had caused it to get stuck. Cleaned it out and bought a knife that could mount on my BCD.