1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cave/Mine Diving

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Leeb2018, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Still interested in NDAC , looking at the forecast I’m not keen on Dover. Admittedly the wind for the next few days is westerly but strong.

If you guys want Dover go for it.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Irkingly I'd prefer NDAC in this instance simply because it guarantees us a dive and also pukemeister @clique will be coming (seems he only needs to see a boat to get mal-de-mare).

But Mutiny is an option for some other day if the weather plays ball.

3. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Ok NDAC it is. What time we meeting there?

4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

First bus is some time after 08.00, last bus down at 15.00. Phoned them today.

In reality I don’t fancy leaving Essex any earlier than 06.00, that should get me there around 08.30/09.00. I’ll be ready to dive by 10.00, bit earlier probably.

Hope that suits. I’m not bringing mix or deep bail out so please shout if anyone’s is thinking of going deeper than 35 metre ish and I’ll repack.

I’ll be in a white VW van , red woolly hat , looking a bit daft.

5. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I got 20/25 in my ccr. So I only gassed up for 40m ish. I got 20/25 bail out and my 80% bail out that I want to just take in for a dive as I have reconfigured my stage bands to try and get my cylinders to sit nice and flat with my body. So want to see if I have made them worse or betrer.

@Vanny is Geoff coming

@Wibble what time you arriving

6. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I happy at 30m but like vanny if anyone else wants to go deeper let me know and I will bring my 16/44 with me.

I am so glad I got a rebreather I heard the helium price is going to double again next year. Dunno how true this is tho.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Happy in the shallows above 30m. Gassed for blowing 32% bubbles.

I'm aiming to leave darkest Sussex at 0500 to be there for 0800. Like my faff time.

At least one other's joining us. Thankfully in sidemount, so we can all take the piss.

8. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Happy days. I be there around 8. I in a grey bmw 1 series black windows and wheels.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

9. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

@Leeb2018 no Geoff I’m afraid , scared of the Xmas traffic.

10. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I know I spoke to him a little while ago. I don't think it will be that bad.

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

What, no white beard?

Leeb2018 and Vanny like this.
  12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Interesting. Someone else told me that too. Something about the "contract bids" for the helium reserves.

Definitely makes rebreathers look more attractive. Almost feel guilty wasting all that helium in open circuit. No id don't, but it does sting to pay >£100 for a fill!

13. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

@Wibble rebreather are the way forward. I pay about £15 for my 3 litre of tx16/44 and £12 for my o2. So for £27 I get 4+ hours of trimix diving. It so cheap on a rebreather I do not dive anything but trimix. You only have to get your stages filled once until you bail out and if you get the proper training the chances of bailing out are slim. But even filling my two 7 litre stages wasn't expensive. And by cross patching your stages into your ccr if you need them you can make 7litre last like a 35litre if you go semi closed

14. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I have arrived I am the only person here I parked up by kitting up area but walking over to cafe for a tea. I message you my number wibble

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

A great day’s diving. NDAC was practically empty - someone must have told them we were coming!

Nice weather too - sunny for goodness sake! A nice mixed group of two boxes, a twinset and a sidemounter.

Must do it more often

Harvey-NG, Leeb2018, John F and 2 others like this.
  16. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Enjoyed today defo need to get more dives planned.

@Wibble what was the names of them mines you was telling me about? I was telling my mate about the one that drips down to 30m but couldn't remember name

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Dinas in South Wales is the standard training location. Quite a nice dive but a hike to lug the kit too. Mentioned in this post:
    http://ukdivers.com/threads/tdi-cavern-diving-course-dinas-mine-wales.14493/

The Cambrian Slate Mine in north-east Wales. Lovely dive close to Aber Las. Less hassle to get to than Dinas, but a more serious dive due to depth which is mostly around 30 metres, so could easily get you into deco trouble. Also need to be careful with that one to not stir up any silt, particularly at the entrance as it'll descend down the initial entrance. Best to wear caving kit for the haul as you'll be sliding down a mucky slope.

Both are mentioned in Martyn Farr's book "Classic Dark Site Diving" - a recommended read.

18. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Cheers for that. I have ordered that book but has not arrived yet.

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Cheers guys was a good day, nice it was so quiet with some viz!

Hopefully do more and even get to the sea.

20. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

NDAC normally always has good vis.

All I have asked for this Christmas is cracking his in 2019