1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cozumel

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by double_dd, May 8, 2014.

1. double_dd

double_dd New Member

Looking at going for a weeks diving in Cozumel.

Anyone any recommendations on dive companies?

Also, any iteneries I should be looking at?

I'm AOW and looking for 5 days of diving with a day chill time either side. I'll be on my own too so not sure if that'll be
    a factor in finding a buddy.

2. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

I have been to Cozumel twice and depending on when you're going, the diving should be very good. The water temperatire starts to warm-up by May but you'll be more comfortable in a 5mm full suit. After mid-June, thunderstorms can affect visibility and some sites (Maracaibo Deep, Punta Sur etc) will be off limits.
    As you probably know, it is mostly drift diving in Cozumel and the local operators are well geared-up for this. A DSMB is a must.

As for the dive cenres, avaoid the expensive "all inclusive" resorts like the Allegro or Occidental / Dive Palancar outfit at all costs. Much better would be the more dive orientated companies like Aqua Safari or Blue Angel. The former have accommodation right adjacent to the dive centre and their own pier, where the boats are moored is just across the road. Blue Angel are even better in that they on on the seaward side of the main road and have a very good restaurant on site.

Try to include a dive in Punta Sur on the itinerary. Finding a buddy should be no problem.

PeterT likes this.