1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving HMS Royal Oak

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by nickb, Oct 12, 2018.

1. nickb

nickb Active Member

It's been made public now, so I can talk about it, having had to keep it a secret for over a year...

This week, a team of us on the Huskyan have been diving HMS Royal Oak in Scapa Flow. It's a protected war grave and normally diving is prohibited but Huskyan's owners, Emily & Ben, managed to obtain a licence from the MOD to dive and survey the wreck.

The wreck is stunning. Intact aside from the missing propellors and anchors, she is by far the best wreck I've dived in the British Isles and, for me, only bettered by the Nagato in Bikini Atoll.

The highlight of the week was having the privilege to witness the Royal Navy performing their annual task of recovering and replacing the battle ensign.

834 men and boys lost their lives when the battleship was sunk by U47 on 14th October 1939 and many of them remain inside the wreck. It's a very humbling experience and one for which I will be forever grateful.

Graysyid, NickPicks, Griffalo and 7 others like this.
  2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

A very unique experience.