1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do logged dives need to be countersigned?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Gaz, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Gaz

Gaz Member

Hi folks.

Currently diving in Gozo - its lovely but the storm's moving in fast.

For my PADI certifications, do my 'logged dives' have to be signed off by a buddy/guide/instructor? Up until now I've just been jotting down the details of the dive along with the name of my buddy/guide. 16 so far and will be 25 before I fly home.

There is a gap for a signature in the logbook and if needs be I'll get them countersigned before I leave.

This is initially for Master Scuba Diver (50 dives + rescue diver + 5 specialities) and later for my future divemaster training (60 logged dives needed to qualify).

Not sure how strict PADI are you see.

Many thanks.

2. 290315

290315 New Member

Log books are a bit of a joke to be honest, they're never checked so its open to abuse. My advice is get as much diving in as possible both inland and sea diving before thinking about DM. I personally think a DM with less than a few years/couple of hundred dives under their belt can't really be taken seriously, it's a massive flaw with PADI in that you can simply pay your way to whatever cert you want in a ridiculously short amount of time.

divewench likes this.
  3. Gaz

Gaz Member

Thanks, yep DM is many years down the line yet - but just want to be sure I'm keeping adequate records of my dives - I'm just checking to see if I need them to be countersigned or not for PADI.

4. 290315

290315 New Member

Seriously they can be signed off by M.Mouse and D.Duck! No doubt you'll do your DM with your local club so they'll know approx how many dives you have, your experience and training history, if it's not your regular club they might have a quick browse through they won't check your buddy's cert number is legit. Mine are all in my computers and backed up on my PC and only ever get copied to a paper log if going abroad, usually they all get signed off in Nemo's bar at Stoney by the regular crowd of buddy's ;)

5. Gaz

Gaz Member

Spot on thank you.

There's a good mix in the logbook - I did OW in Maldives, AOW in Zanzibar, doing 14 dives this week plus one speciality in Gozo which I think will become my regular haunt over the next few years.

Thee computer backup is a great shout - didn't think of that. Coupled with my scratchings in the logbook I think that'll be plenty.

Cheers.

6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I only ever log dives on paper if I'm going abroad and using a new dive centre. All my regular haunts know I'm crap!

Be careful with computer records, I lost my first 130ish dives when my Zoop flooded. I did have them on the PC as well but can't seem to find them...

7. 290315

290315 New Member

Get plenty of UK sea dives in, different ball game ;)

8. Gaz

Gaz Member

That's my next big challenge! As my learning to date had been in PADI courses I wanted a week of simple guided diving where I would be a little more self reliant and could test out a little of my own kit. Next step is diving in the UK but I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before tackling the cold British coastline.

9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to maintain my logbook until it vanished with my padi card in a piece of luggage (long story lacking in pride but funny). I recovered the data from club records and dive computers (not the one with the logbook though) and started logging a mere summary in excel. I still do to this and it is amusing to give excel new things to compare :)

10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If you plan to dive in the UK a BSAC club is a cost effective way of getting familiar with UK diving, getting dive buddies and getting training without paying for each new skill.

11. snowman

snowman Active Member

I try and get all my dives countersigned.

I'm not sure why really, except when they're for a qualification, but I got in the habit when I did my PADI OW and I've continued doing so since.

If it's with a qualification of some sort in mind, though, I'd definitely try and get a countersign as your log book SHOULD be checked for that and whilst you could fake a signature, making up unverified dives is a hell of a lot easier than doing different signatures (of course, you could claim you do every dive with the same imaginary buddy and their signature would never vary).

I guess some do and some don't...

M.

12. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Im another that always gets his log book signed off, I just tend to do it because "I like to" just for my own satisfaction, I may get bored with it one day but at the moment as a new diver I like to have my dives verified.

13. Gaz

Gaz Member

Thanks folks.

Just got back to the UK. Before I left I took my logbook and had it stamped and countersigned by the two dive centres I used - happy did now.

14. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

In reality no one checks the accuracy of attestation of log books. But I maintain my logbook for my own interest and nostalgia later in life and so always get every dive countersigned by the divemaster. I ask them to enter their PADI or other number on the first page and then copy it for the other dives of the trip. If they cannot remember their number, I enter an imaginary one. But thus far, all my countersignatures have been from the presiding divemaster.

It is no big deal if one attests one's own dives.

15. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I'm still logging my dives. How much I record depends on how bothered I am, always date and figures depth time etc. Not really bothered about a countersig. If anyone REALLY cares they will do a check dive as numbers count for nothing. Its good to record kit changes etc, and how it went, more important in the future that what fish you saw.

C

16. katelubinski

katelubinski New Member

I prefer keeping track of my dives online, so I use the website https:\\[spamlink deleted] as a logbook.

It's really cool that I can keep not just my dive logs there, but I can also store my diving pictures and use the interactive dive map to explore new dive sites or chart my own.

I've been looking for a service like this for a long time, but the ones I've found before this one are slow and their interface is not as nice.

#16 katelubinski, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome to the forum; this is a pretty old thread, but useful information.

Can a service such as that allow you to export your dive logs in a sensible format for backing up or moving to another service? It's rather important as cloud-based providers come and go like good weather. The big thing to keep in mind is that if a service is "free", how will it pay for itself? If there's storage, how will this be persisted? What happens if the software isn't updated?

Hence keeping local log files on something like Subsurface is probably the best solution; maybe exporting from there to cloud-based services.

There's only one person responsible for the integrity of my data.

18. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

I no longer keep regular paper records I did log paper ones for training and if i had students but quarry splashes and regular sea dives nope, my camera may be a record and Ive had three computers so somwhere between 550 and 650 is an estimate. when Ive been abroad or using a new charter in the UK they were more interested in my last few dives date, depth, quarry, sea etc than total number.