1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry Gloves and Bungee Mounts

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Harvey-NG, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Does anyone have a solution to using bungee mounts on computers and getting them over large ring dry gloves (kubis in my case)? I can't get the bungee over the rings and still have it tight around my wrist - maybe I'm just skinny - but at the moment it's a choice between pulling the bungee tight once on or placing the computer over my hand instead - like I do with a compass. I'd prefer not to go back to wrist straps, the shearwater ones are good but my eon core strap is ridiculously long and cumbersome.
    Any ideas?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not sure it's an issue. I've Kubis and use bungees for my computer and compass. Neither are too tight to get over the ring, but are tight enough to not move around during a dive.

I use "bungee" cord, several rubber bands surrounded by a material mesh. The Shearwater came with "surgical tubing" which I don't trust: it'll fail catastrophically IMHO, whereas bungee will fray as it's failing.

Will dig out a photo when I get home.

3. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've also not had a problem with bungeed and kubi rings. The bungee on my OSTC is not as stretchy as the stuff On my back up vyper, so maybe different bungee might help.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I have my OSTC cR on bungees and is goes over my 90mm Kubi rings without a problem. Sounds like the problem is the eon core ;)

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My wrist-mounted kit. Uses 3mm, 4mm and 5mm bungee -- whatever I had at the time.

Wrist-mounted bungeed kit.jpg

The thicker bungee on the compass has lasted ~4 years and hundreds of dives, so has the thinner bungee on the backup computer strap for that matter.

Main thing is to *not* use the surgical tubing (IMHO) as this will catastrophically fail as there's only one piece. Bungees have umpteen strands of rubber plus the outer mesh.

I tie them as a single loop with a knot to stop the bungee completely unravelling if one side's broken. Example here of the compass showing the figure-of-eight stopper knot in the middle and the fisherman's bend knot.
    Back of compass.jpg

Harvey-NG likes this.
  6. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Thanks for the photos - that's a good system you've got tying the knot in the middle. Maybe I'm just using really unstretchy bungee cord - I'll try some other stuff.

7. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I prefer to use 2-3mm bungee and do 2 separate knots. First of all it creates redundancy. Secondly the knot sits in the slot between the 2 holes.

All my kit is at my work address but I’ll check the wife’s computers to see if I have an example to show.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

8. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just realised I had some pics for a blog I’ve still got to write

[​IMG]

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

Harvey-NG likes this.
  9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Am I crazy or does that stopper knot serve not much purpose. If the knot joining the ends of the bungee comes undone all that’s stopping the whole thing falling off if the 180° bend through the housing that could easily pull through, I can’t see that the stopper knot really adds that much.

Yes the knot does protect against a break/cut in the bungee but it’s still vulnerable to the main knot.

I tie mine like Tim, two completely separate independent loops.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The knot is a single point of failure. It does allow a little adjustment between the bands. Tying two loops means double the work of getting the exact sizes.

Normally I'd do a double fisherman's knot which has the advantage of consisting of two knots. For whatever reason, four years ago, I tied a double sheet bend.

In reality, knots on bungees seldom fail -- assuming the correct knot is used -- as when pulled tight, the bungee holds it together.

Harvey-NG likes this.