1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry gloves

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by minus273degrees, Apr 4, 2016.

1. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

Hot topic at the moment ...

Does any one have a run down of the costs and pros and cons etc of the different systems

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's at leas half a dozen different fitted systems which are all much of a muchness: a ring attached to the suit and another to the glove. The challenge is leaks, normally from the seal failing or a holed glove. So the requirements are for a reliable seal and quick change gloves. There's definitely differences in seal effectiveness, some being more reliable than others.

The other system is fitting seals to gloves, which you put on first then pull the suit cuff seal over the glove. Some people like these - @WillDive uses them. It's often said that these gloves can be awkward to put on as you need to get the seals up your wrists.

In cold water you'll need some form of glove liners. This may mean you need bigger gloves in winter to make room for some insulation.

Obviously as you descend you'll get a bit of glove squeeze, so just like your drysuit you need to let a little air in from your drysuit which you do by adding something under your cuff that allows air to migrate. String works well. The problem here is that if -- ok, when -- you get a leak, you'll then get a soggy arm as where the air goes, the water will too.

Leaks are caused by not fitting your glove seals properly - you learn from your mistakes. For example getting your glove or string caught in the seal. Gloves do break, some systems are much easier to change than others.

3. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I have the Si-Tech Antares system. I wouldn't get it again as it's a bit fragile and a bit of a faff to get it to seat properly.

4. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I have the Si Tech QCP Glove Lock system. It works fine, but the cuff rings fitted to the suit are quite large, so kitting up can be tricky - getting the arms into the BCD is my biggest problem, and the strap on my compass doesn't open wide enough to go over them without taking out the safety nipple on the end of the strap - I need to replace the straps with bungee.

5. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Me too.
    Most of the time...
    Tricky? Pain in the arse more like.

NickPicks likes this.
  6. clique

clique Active Member

Just adding what I've found to this - I've first hand experience with the Si Tech QCP and the Si Tech Antares System.

As a glove system I much preferred the QCP set up, there was a reassuring click when the gloves are locked into place so you knew that they were sealed. Sure the rings are slightly larger than some of the others about but they're not particularly difficult to get through the arm loops on the harness / BCD. I'll measure the diameter of the QCP system if it's of interest?

Now the Antares as a glove system, there's certainly a learning curve! My first dozen dives using them resulted in soaked hands everytime. To the extent that I decided enough was enough and I emailed Si-Tech directly about just how I was supposed to make them seal, customer service was exceptional. They ended up replacing the set up for me free of charge, with a pair of gloves and wrist seals thrown in too - arrived very quickly (2 days). I've now started getting on with the glove system.. And actually with the old pair of glove rings I've made a leak test kit so I can test all the connections without them being on the suit (pumped up by a bike pump!)

As a wrist seal system, I rate the Antares system! You genuinely can replace a seal in around 5 mins. And with the help from a friend I reckon you'd be able to replace the wrist seal without taking the suit off!

As an additional consideration... We're coming into spring now, waters starting to warm up so do you really need drygloves now?

7. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Having paid out for them, I'd want to be wearing mine all of the time.

But I haven't as I'm inherently tight :) and bought a suit with warm cuffs (seemed like a good idea at the time) - and so I have 'stand alone' dry gloves.

As mentioned, they can be trick to get on quickly but practice makes perfect and you've always got a buddy to help out. I've got 2 pairs (larger pair for winter liners) and rarely wear wet gloves now.

8. minus273degrees

I like the idea of the ones that use marigolds seems genius way to do it anyone got them??

What kind of prices are dry glove systems

9. jordan-idive

jordan-idive New Member

I got the round Sitech rings fitted to my suit for about £50 from otter last year, the dry gloves & rings to fit into them again from otter at Christmas for £55 I think (Wife paid). Only used them once so far and warm dry hands were the result, Shame about the other leak in the suit but the hands were fine, this is on my Neo DUI, yes the rings take a bit of getting used to but nothing to bad.

If you get the whole lot together in one go I think its about £90 fitted. I would 100% recommend Otter to fit them as they were very quick and very helpful.

10. Doomanic

Staff Member

Personally, if I need gloves I'll be in dry gloves. Unless I forget them...

11. rivers

rivers Member

12. Doomanic

Staff Member

I started off with the KWTT system but moved to the fitted Si-Tech QCP when my wrist seals needed replacing.

It is worth noting that the systems that fit to latex seals shorten the life of said seals because it holds them in tension all the time.

13. minus273degrees

In that case is it worth removing between dives?

14. rivers

rivers Member

To be honest, I had them permanently on my seaskin, and I replaced the seals after 3 years.

15. Doomanic

Staff Member

My seals were perished after 12 months. To the point that I was afraid to try and remove the rings for a trip to Malta.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've used two systems. The Northern Diver system which they fitted to my ND drysuit. These are the plastic rings which are quite wide (as in deep) but worked well for me. They needed a little fettling and adjusting, but once I'd worked out how to tighten them up they worked very well. The gloves are the Ansell variety and they sealed using the outside of the glove, so you can use gloves with liners. They're listed at £65. I know that some people on here didn't get on with theirs.

For the new suit I specified the Kubi fitted system (circa £210). These need to be fitted by a suit manufacturer. These are really good quality and I'm extremely happy with them. The downside is you can only use unlined gloves as the seal's made on the inside glove surface. I like the Marigold G17k gloves, but I've been through several gloves as they're quite thin so I think they tear quite easily. The good thing is they're very quick to change; two mins. You need a credit-card sized bit of plastic to lever the O-rings off.

17. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

The ND glove system only makes sense if you've got a neoprene suit as (I think) they're the only ones that can be (easily :hilarious:) fitted to neo. Even then, I'd send the suit away and got the cuffs modded to accept latex/silicon seals and get another glove system fitted ... as I eventually did.

If you've got a neo and you don't want to mod the cuffs, send the suit to ND and get them to fit the glove system and then it's their problem trying to get them water tight.

18. clique

clique Active Member

Found something similar here - when I removed the QCP system when I sold the old drysuit there was signs that the wrist seals were on the way out. Some small cracks in the surface of the latex after around 18 months of having them fitted. The seals are consumables after all - any dry glove system which 'clamps' onto an existing seal will do this.

I've still got the QCP kit in the box somewhere if anyones interested?

19. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

20. Doomanic

Staff Member