1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dry suit neck seal

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by paul r s78, Sep 4, 2010.

1. paul r s78

paul r s78 Member

i finally got my othree suit today, but im no giraffe and got a short wide neck.

ive currently got a food bowl in it to hopefully try and stretch it ready for my dry suit course tomorrow
    i dont want to trim it straight away, but do want to make it more comfortable.

does anybody have any tips ?

2. TaffyDiver

TaffyDiver Member

Is it a neoprene or latex seal?

3. paul r s78

paul r s78 Member

its a neoprene seal

4. TaffyDiver

TaffyDiver Member

I`ve only used latex but my mates use neoprene and their method is to double over the seal so that the end of the seal is on the inside, tucked in tight to the neck. Might be worth trying before trimming.

Perhaps some of the other guys can confirm the suitability of this method.

I`m sure your instructor will be able to point you in the right direction though...

5. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

You don't trim O3 neoprene neck seals, the reason it is long is because you fold it in on itself not leave it 'as is' like a latex one, so no need to cut any off it which is likely to wreck it.

6. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

It generally the norm to fold neoprene neck seals inside about 2 inches

7. paul r s78

paul r s78 Member

but after 15years of weight training my neck is only about 2", i could fold it about 5 times lol

8. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Did you go down to O'Three to try the suit on? Surely they showed you how the neck seal worked? If you can't fold it over it won't work. Maybe you'd be better with a suit that has a latex neck seal?

9. paul r s78

paul r s78 Member

no i got it from a shop.
    we'd spoke to othree as there was some concern after my measurements.

10. big si

big si Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol: sorry im laughing i know your problem iv had 25 years of gym life. hope you get it sorted

11. Smudge

Smudge Member

You trim latex seals and stretch neoprene seals ;)
    If the seal is too far out then you have the wrong size fitted and you'll need to buy a new neck seal and have it fitted. Neck seals come in various sizes.

12. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

as long as some of the neck seal is folded by about two inches it will work you may look as though you have an accordion round your neck. My sons is far too long and it dosent seem to matter as the rest bunches down around his neck.

13. big si

big si Well-Known Member

now iv stoped laughing ill tell you what i did with mine, i trimmed it down by 3cm but you hav to measure all the way around the neck seal marking every inch or so, then conect the marks you shoud have a line around the neck seal the same shap as the top, then carefully trim with scissors, its important that the top of the neck seal stays the same shape

14. paul r s78

paul r s78 Member

i had a mixing bowl stretching it for about 18hrs which helped a bit.

15. Mrs Doc

Mrs Doc New Member

I'd speak to OThree and see what they advice regarding neck seals. Pesonally, I'm with the others - neoprene seals generally don't get trimmed, as they should be the right size in the first place, whereas latex seals can be trimmed, but only after they've been stretched and possibly worn a couple of times.