1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS4, twins, ports, & routing question

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by ScubaDiva, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Elvis

Elvis Banned

Oh I'm there Sunday, right you two you now have to report back with details Saturday night.

2. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

They'll all be new toys to me since I've never been, but it looked as good a place as any to drill Peanut on his critical thinking skills.

Note to Peanut: I hope you've been doing your reading.

3. Snuffy

Snuffy New Member

Can't you change the angle the isolator up slightly to solve this problem?

S.

4. salty_scuba_peanut

salty_scuba_peanut New Member

Erm.... Does being busy with an exchange student count as an excuse? :tongue: As Silty said, you can have a look at our regs on Sat. I think BK set them both up, I know he did mine but I think he did Silty's too.

5. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Not if I'm leaving my PhD to come and go through stuff with you. Have I mentioned that I can be a mean teacher? :sneaky:

6. salty_scuba_peanut

:sneaky: no you haven't. I'll get reading on the way to the delph :thumbup:

7. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

So your carrying on from last night then :cursing:[hr]
    Has BK sunk the rescue boat again

8. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Okay some pics.

Twinset manifold:

[​IMG]

Regs horizontal:

[​IMG]

The end of the 1st stage is too close to the manifold knob and would hinder shut downs.

Regs 45 degrees to centre:

[​IMG]

Same problem as with horizontal.

Regs left more vertical:

[​IMG]

Hose sticking out and in the way of the right hand knob.

Regs 45 degrees parallel:

[​IMG]

Worried about the 1st stage getting in the way of the right hand knob. I can reach it sitting on the floor but the thumb side of my hand bashes into the sticky out bit and would probably hinder the process.

9. salty_scuba_peanut

Wow that is offset! :D

10. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

You may actually get on ok with this set up. I had mine like this for a while (horizontal anyway - the 1st stages faced in opposite directions on mine) and one advantage if you're struggling to reach your valves is that the first stage is sticking out nearer your head than the knob is. You can then reach for the 1st stage and hold on to it whilst turning the knob with your fingers if you need to.

However you might find it gets in the way, you'll just have to try it I think.

That is one hell of an offset manifold though - have you thought about replacing it? :)

11. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Not really because when I was in the water with them the knob is nice and easy for me to reach and we got on well with it in that position. But also I really have no money be spending on any more shiney's at this stage. :(

12. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

It means draining your cylinders and taking speaking nicely to your LDS, but why not change the angle of your manifold knob so it's vertical?
    (I actually have mine leaning away from my head, as I find my hand rests on it more easily and it's easier to turn)

13. John_c

John_c New Member

This is the old style MDE manifold, there brill, but a PITA when setting up a suitable access for shut downs.

Looking at the picture I think you need to have the angle of the isolator vale changed its too acute. Try setting it half way between the current angle and vertical and setting your 1st stages at 45 deg. That should make access for shut downs much easier.

PS thats how my Mrs has hers set with the same MDE offset manifold and she can manage shutdows ok.

Thumbs Up

14. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

The left post looks OK horizontal, so I'd leave that one there...

Right post, you really don't want to force bends into the long hose, it's not great for the hose itself, and will also force the hose to bend out, and so become a pain hog loop (it'll tend to sit proud)

How would it work if you twisted right post regulator by about 90 degrees clockwise, from the 4th photo? The long "end" will hopefully sit up enough to be out of the way of the right hand valve, small "end" is clear of the manifold valve?

Other option, get some MK25s instead (remember how lovely and neat they were?! ;))

Isolator angle; if you're sticking with the manifold, then I'd leave it as is, you were pretty damn slick on the manifold shut down if I remember correctly....

15. salty_scuba_peanut

Or wait until you see BK at the weekend :tongue:

16. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

John C and Jenkins I refer you to what Bottlefish said for why I'd rather leave the manifold knob at the angle it is at. Yes I agree its a bit odd. It was one of the 1st things Stu commented on when he saw it back in Nov but its position seemed to really suit me, therefore, I would be loath to change it.

Yes the MK25's were sweet, however, they do not come at a sweet price even 2nd hand so that's why i went with the ds4's. I didn't envisage having angling problems. :rolleyes: But will go and rotate it 90 degress and see what that looks like. :)

17. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

Yeah, just teasing really ;), pop up a photo when you're done....

18. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Camera has decided to run out of battery so will have to charge it before I can do a photo. However, because of the position of the ports the hose is sticking out an getting in the way of my arm and shoulder when reaching back for the right hand valve.

After some more very scientific intensive testing on the sitting room floor I am now starting to move back towards the 45 degree angle like in photo 2 and in Neil's photos. Bizarrely my hand seems to hit off of the right 1st less when it is in this position - possibly because the orientation makes a 'v' shape which leaves a wider bit at the top for my hand to move about.

Need to go and put on the 7mm mitts to see if this still works. However, I suspect only in water testing will settle the issue. :D

Edit: Okay tried on the mitts. I think it is possible with them set up this way although I am not in general currently feeling the love for doing shut downs in mitts.

19. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

The main thing helping with reaching the centre isolator is the offset. If it were angled up more as many have suggested I doubt very much it will have any negative impact on your ability to do a shutdown. Why not give it a try? You can always move it back if you really dont like it but it may solve your problem quite easily :)

Rach

PS. The Miflex hoses really do make a lot of difference with hose routing too. The shop of Rach & Ellie may have some depending on what lengths you need but I would have to go have a look :thumbup:

20. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Why does that not surprise me? :rolleyes: I'm going to try and make what I have work 1st before buying any other stuff, but if I need some I'll let you know. :)