1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Egypt

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ellie, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

We went to Egypt on an aeroplane. When we got there it was hot. We stayed on a boat. We went diving lots. We went on another aeroplane and came home. It was great.

2. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

I never even noticed you had been away

3. Aquafan

Aquafan Active Member

That is the sort of trip report that I like reading :thumbup:
    Hope you had a great time.

4. Baz

Baz Active Member

Glad you both had a good time.

Sorry that you had to stay on the boat and keep Rach company missing some great dives :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

This is an outrage - at least tell me what fish you saw! :angry:

6. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

Fish !? sod the fish it's rusty metal work thats important :tongue:

BK

7. Joa

Joa New Member

:D Excellent! :thumbup:

8. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

Its okay, we don't pay any attention to your presence either :tongue:

Yes it was good thank you :) Despite illness it was a chilled week and the others on the boat were a nice bunch which was great :)

Yes the seriously dodgy tummy and a blown ear are a bit rubbish. Turns out that despite not actually having a problem on any dive with my ears I have actually managed to get "acute otitic barotrauma" according to the doc at the port. I only missed the second half of the week though. Ellie did manage to dive every day though :)

Sadly not a lot other than the standard things you see at every dive site. I think the tekky group saw a turtle which was apparently very inquisitive. Ellie said it swam right up to her face and looked right at her.

Also we got special permission from the Saudi government to enter their waters and do a dive on the other side of Tiran. Apparently its rare to get that permission and the only boats to ever get it are VIP1 and a boat from the four seasons hotel! The site was called Chisolm Point and it was very pretty but sadly none of the big fishies came to visit us when we were there :(

Well there was some rusty metalwork too (not for me I had blown my ear by that point) but not as much as there should have been because the weather wasn't what it should be for August. It was way too windy for most of the week where the wrecks were. Everybody else did get to do one dive on the Dunraven and two on the Thistlegorm though.

Hopefully I will get to do them when we go back!

Rach

9. Scrawn

Scrawn Member

Glad you had a good time, sorry you missed some of the dives though Rach..

10. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Metalwork wise, as Rach said we didn't get to do the sites we wanted due to the 90kmh winds blowing down the gulf of Suez for a few days. I was hoping to do the Rosalie Moller but it wasn't to be. We did however get to dive 'The Lara' at Tiran ( The submerged other half of the rusty wreck that sits on Gordon Reef ) Its hardly ever dived due to difficult conditions, so a 6:30am dive time gave us a chance and we managed to get onto it. was in lovely untouched condition, with corals growing all over it. Unfortuantely my depth limit of 48m was only enough to get me to just below the top of it, so I had to hover around the mast and watch as the Normoxic boys went exploring. :mad: The Dunraven wasn't that special, but the Thistlegorm for the first time was pretty amazing. One of the Normoxic boys learned a valuable lesson about currents on the second dive, when the current is ripping don't let go of the shot line on the descent... Ummm, Byeeee!

Sealife wise, we didn't have much luck really, nothing big, nothing special except maybe a marbled ray, that was cruising past the Dunraven. The Turtle experience over at Tiran Island was pretty cool. It was quite amazing to see how differently animals act when off the beaten track. If we'd been at one of the regular dive sites, the turtle would have been off, but instead just swam around us, checking us out for the last 10 minutes of deco stop. Amazing!

Overall it was a great trip, its a pity the weather was against us, and a pity Rach hurt her ear :thumbdown: Maybe the next one will have more excitement, I have to say I'm getting a bit bored of the Tiran & Ras Mo general reef sites now having done them to death, although Thomas Canyon is still fab!

Ellie

11. Razza

Razza Member

Only trip report i've read end to end, well done :D

12. w650peter

w650peter Member

I know what you mean about getting bored with Tiran etc. We have found the southern Red Sea liveaboards far better- big fish ( some with scarry big teeth:D) huge coral formations, and best of all...less divers!