1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergence de Bezerne

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tribal Chestnut, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I first visited the site back in Feb, and had decided that, provided politics and all that Brexit shite didn’t foil my plans, I’d try and dive here during the Easter holiday, hence I found myself in eastern France again on Wednesday.

The entry was interesting - I’d already decided to dive without a wing and upon seeing the way in I chose to leave behind my 7 litre back-up and to dive 1/4s instead on my SM 12s.

Having clipped my cylinders on I had to roll forwards, bending over my fins, then twist my head and torso around to gain a flat out crawl for a few metres. There was an air space but it was very constricted so it was necessary to crawl with a reg in, face down, entirely by touch as the vis had deteriorated to zero. A nice thick line aided this process greatly.

Pretty soon though I was stuck fast and couldn’t make any further forward progress, so I had to inch back, ever so slowly, until I could fold myself up and force a turn, squeezing up and out of the water.

Not knowing the condition of the line, nor whether anyone had been here in the past decade, I had a large primary reel - it was this that was causing me to get wedged in and holding me back, so it was removed and abandoned, together with my large hand torch that was clipped off to a chest D ring.

With both of these encumbrances removed I resolved to have another go, fearing that I might fail again and need to try some serious excavation or maybe even return with a pair of sevens.

I eased myself through the crawl, digging some rocks and stones out of the way, then found the vis clearing slightly enabling me to see the way on which was straight down past a vertical restriction.

Through a combination of determination and stupidity, as opposed to any kind of ability and grace, I managed to force my way down through the opening, getting stuck upside down for a few moments until I could wriggle free, dislodging a few loose rocks and boulders in the process.

The passage opened up so I turned and was really rather relieved to find that the way back out was still open.

Now in the cave proper, albeit having used a load of gas in my travails, I was able to relax and enjoy myself.

Visibility was a respectable 5m or so, hindered slightly by having only my head torch to use, and the passage was generally quite spacious, with the occasional moderate restriction, descending sharply down to 15m before rising up gently up again, over a combination of boulders, shingle and banks of clay and silt.

The condition of the line was decent too - no wear of any great concern, though in many areas it was deeply buried under banks of silt and needed to be gently freed, with the expected drop in vis to zero.

There was a fair bit of life present too - eels, salamanders, shrimps and those weird blennie type fish.

All too soon & having barely introduced myself to the cave I’d reached quarters and had to start heading back.

Having turned I expected the way out to be near zero vis, yet it was quite adequate - my hand was needed to gently trace the line in a few areas, but it was typically about 1-2m.

My initial ascent toward the exit was fine, but once in the restriction I found myself to be stuck again and did need a serious effort to get free. I then had a pause and relieved myself, before hauling my way upwards into the exit crawl.

NickPicks likes this.
  2. splinter

splinter Active Member

Mate, I admire your determination, but you are f***ing nuts! Gives me the heebie jeebies just reading about it!

Nice write and glad you enjoyed it.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes great read but no thanks!

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice one :)

Interesting that there's fauna in the water. I guess these have entered from the river and adapted to the subterranean conditions. How much cave is there after the entrance?

Would this cave warrant an expedition style approach: staging cylinders as a first and last phase maybe using sump-style kit for entrance and exit?

Sounds much easier than Lionel's Hole :)

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Almost 1700m - if I was ever to try and reach the end I’d definitely need to enter with a pair of 5s or 7s as a set up dive.

6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Oh no!
    Oh hell no!
    Oh, well that's OK then... :facepalm:
    Me too, after reading that!
    This
    Definitely this. :thumbup:

Tribal Chestnut and splinter like this.