1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally signed off for diving

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Aquafan, May 23, 2011.

1. Aquafan

Aquafan Active Member

Last Friday I had my diving medical because as of last year I had the words Asthma attached to my medical records. Well I passed with flying colours for rec diving but now have other issues if I want to take my diving further.
    I get about 3-4 migraines a year and didn't think anything of it until we discussed my symptoms. I get Migraine with aura (classical migraine) and with a state of confusion. So later this year I will also get tested for PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale ).
    Because of the migraines the diving doc is not happy for me to go into deco diving and to be honest that does make sense, so right now any thought of going down the TDI or IANTD routes are well on the back burner. But at least I've been signed off for 5 years and can get wet again, all I’ve got to do is take a peak flow reading before each dive and if it drop below 10% I cannot dive.

Badknees and Suggsy like this.
  2. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Glad to see you're getting back on track Andy. Deco diving is alright but it's not worth risking your health for :)

Aquafan likes this.
  3. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

Good news :)
    As Ellie says, deco's not worth risking you life for and wet's wet!

Aquafan likes this.
  4. PeteStewart

PeteStewart Never wrong, but not always right

Great to hear the good news. Just take it steady.

Been in the same boat after having stent fitted. The future is more important than the now

Aquafan likes this.
  5. Roy

Roy Active Member

I get visual migranes occasionally and I know I don't have a PFO - its been sewn up :).
    But definatly worth checking out.

Aquafan likes this.
  6. big si

big si Well-Known Member

Good news is great

7. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Thats great news Andy

8. Aquafan

Aquafan Active Member

Thanks all, will hopefully be going out in the next few weeks. My aim now is just to dive anywhere, not dived since last August.

9. Flyingspanner

Flyingspanner Well-Known Member

Glad you're back in the water Andy.

Don't worry about the PFO issue, I had one, the test and even the repair are nothing to worry about.

Jenkins likes this.
  10. Aquafan

Aquafan Active Member

Thanks mate

11. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

It's great news to hear that you are back in the water :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

as Flyingspanner and Roy say you will be in good company if you do have to get a PFO fixed :rolleyes: also you will be one of the lucky few who get it diagnosed without the worry of experiencing a bend first ;)

Flyingspanner and Aquafan like this.