1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flights to Fiji

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Steppenwolf, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

After some deliberation I have booked a place on the Island Dancer, the Fiji liveaboard, in July 2013 - with a whopping 25% discount for the 13th to 20th week (saving US$750). But the flights are expensive and I am wondering whether to book now or wait to see if they drop in price, which they may or may not.

I do not want to go via LA, the flights are not cheaper anyway. Seoul is a possibility if the price of Korean Air is very competitive but they demand US$200 flat rate each way for the extra bag. My best bet is via Hong Kong but Cathay Pacific is out despite present return flights being £400 cheaper than the competition - their draconian luggage policy will charge silly prices for anything over 20Kg. That leaves me with Virgin or BA to Hong Kong and connecting to Air Pacific - the most expensive basic flight tariff but generous with extra luggage.

Even so, return flights at present are in the £1500 bracket for that last combo and I am wondering if I should book now or wait a bit. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Scunnered

Scunnered Active Member

That's a very hard question to answer... there's always the chance prices will come down, but likewise they might stay the same or go up!

However as you are only going for a week will you really need any more that 20Kg (remembering that you will have a hand luggage allowance as well)? ... 400 quid pays for a lot of diving! I know that I managed to pack enough for a week in Egypt (including bcd, fins, drysuit, regs) and was under 20 Kg hold baggage and 7Kg hand baggage.

3. Steppenwolf

The trouble is, I have a lot of additional stuff like the camera kit including twin strobes that weighs a lot. Also, I like to take slightly above average changes of clothing - habit I guess. Even with the best economising, by combo weight of the 2 bags us around 32Kg - and that using the wheel-less Aqualung Classic dive bag. So Cathay Pacific is out.

A UK based Korean Air staff member told me today that usually the best fares for July are in the preceding December-January. I now have options through Heathrow or Gatwick and have promoted Korean Air as the best possibility depsite intial misgivings. Incheon has excellent hotel and transit facilities. A lot of people have told me that Air Pacific schedules can be unreliable, more so in the next 12 months as they change to Fiji Airways under a new management.

With Korean Air, I have to pay a flat rate of US$130 (around £85) each way all though (London to Fiji). Compare that with £77 each way for BA abd free for Virgin but both are more expensive fares and connect to Air Pacific where I have to pay around £50 more for the bag. All things considered, Korean Air does look the best bargain.

4. billy burgess

billy burgess Active Member

5. Steppenwolf

I wish. Living and working in Oz had been my hope as a young doctor in the late 70s but the circumstances back then were not conducive to that plan. Rather too late now.

Back to Fiji flights, it is now looking increasingly like I'll be flying Korean Air because of the only practical single airline option from the UK (excluding Cathay Pacific, which won't work for me). They are the least expensive fare at the moment and from what information I have gathered, most likely to offer a lower fare towards X-mas. Also, the flight times are more civilised and I have the option of Heathrow or Gatwick for the London-Seoul route.