1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Force Fins.... Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Sidemount_Stu, May 28, 2011.

1. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I'm considering a new pair of fins.... since changing my drysuit, my feet no longer fit into the foot pocket of my trusty old ones.....

so my considerations are:

Force Fin Pro's (Expensive, Take some getting used to)
    Twin Jet Max (Quite Heavy, reasonably priced, possibly under powered)
    Avanti Quattros (Cheap, powerful, but can be hard work)
    Apollo Bio-Fins (Not cheap, Heavy!, difficult to source in the UK?)

To be honest... the geek in me quite likes the idea of the Force fins.... but i've read so much about them and how they require a "new" finning technique, i'm kind of nervous about splashing the cash without trying them!

And i quite like the look of the Bio-Fins too, but being 100% rubber, i'm guessing they're going to be toooo heavy. Fine in the UK, but too heavy for travel!

As i don't know anybody with them, borrowing seems not to be an option....

So i wondered if any of you guys n gals use or have used force fins or bio-fins, and what your thoughts are, pro's, cons etc?????:help:

2. shortcuts

shortcuts Well-Known Member

Force fins?
    Love em but I like Marmite too!

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What are your current fins and how have you liked them so far

4. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

As above, FF's take some getting use to, its a style of finning all to itself, try before you buy

5. Elvis

Elvis Banned

I personally have 2 sets of fins, a heavy (for trim), stiff (for pushing a dry suited diver around), big foot pocket (for arctic socks+neosocks+large wetsuit boots ), decent but reasonably expensive (the majority of my diving is in the UK) set for diving in the UK with drysuit (Hollis F1's) and a lighter (for baggage), less stiff (in a wetsuit who needs that much power?), smaller footpocket (only one set of wetsuit boots), cheaper(I don't use them that often) for when I'm travellingor in a pool in a wetsuit (or shorts and t-shirt) with a single set of wetsuit boots on (some ND cheap set althogh a S/H set of quatroos would be more than adequate.

For the record I have dived with a number of reasonably experienced FF divers and whilst some use FF's without problem some still kick the crap out of the viz with them, it seems to be incredibly difficult you use them and leave clear water behind you.

6. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I have 2 pairs currently, but aren't particularly happy with either!

1 x Twin Speeds which are ok, but not much power and don't fit with my drysuit. (I plan to keep these for holidays and wet suit diving)

1 x mares Superchannels which I just don't like, but currently the only fins that fit my drysuit, hence my desire for a new pair.

In cold water ( read UK ) I seem to cramp quite easily with the super channels. This my main reason for looking at the FF's and Twin Jet Max fins as my preferred alternates.

FF's do seem to provoke the Marmite feeling, love them or hate them.... But as a Marmite lover, I'm tempted by the gamble! ( excellent decision making process right? )

Ideally I'd try them first, but I don't know anybody that dives either the FF's or Twin Jet Max..... So I'm a bit scuppered!

7. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

I use Quattros both UK for dry suit and abroad in T shirt and shorts and have found them good.

8. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

I've had force fin pro, excellerating force fins and excellerating force fins in the tan delta supposedly more powerful material. When I was a single cylinder scissor kicking diver I really liked the pro's, but when I moved to twins and frog kicking I found them lacking and was doing 5 kicks to my buddy's one to keep up. I tried a pair of excellerating force fins instead and found these to feel a bit odd, in that you kick, wait momentarily for them to snap back and then they propel you forward. Down at Vobster they had the new Hollis F1 fins available for a try dive so I gave them a go. On surfacing I went into the shop and bought a pair. These for me work much better for my frog kick and glide finning technique so the excellerating force fins were relegated to holiday fins. I'd heard that the tan delta force fins were more powerful ( but the new price is ridiculous ) so when a 2nd hand set came up for sale I thought I'd give them a go. I took them on the Tala trip last year, jumped in on the first dive and kicked expecting to be whizzed forward but it felt like nothing compared to the F1's and I was quite disappointed given the price of them. All my force fins have now been sold ( Still have a Size L left if anyone is interested ;) )

So my overall opinion of Force Fins now is that if you scissor kick they are good, I liked the fact that the pro's were short, but they really don't work for frog kicking IMHO, and although people say they do, you only have to look at the shape of the blade to know they really weren't designed to be used this way. The Hollis F1's on the other hand are fantastic and I'm totally happy with them. I have just bought a second smaller pair for holiday fins despite the weight of them.

9. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

I think they make whoever is wearing look an even bigger twat than normal. All imho of course and without wishing to offend past, present and future users. X

10. shortcuts

shortcuts Well-Known Member

Best you avoid them then!

11. big si

big si Well-Known Member

scubapro jet fins, you would be silly to think about anything else.

12. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Please don't mince your words Cock

Badknees and Suggsy like this.
  13. Pete

Pete Banned

Suggsy is right imho
    Big Si is right imho
    Air Guzzler is wrong on so many levels fact
    Pete

Suggsy likes this.
  14. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Unfortunately I can't, AG wears them :(

15. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

I had force fins but AG wears them so they had to go :)
    They are top fins but as others have said they are marmite fins. You will have to modify how you fin, but get it right and you'll love them.
    Back finning is a total piece of p*ss in them in fact when I first got them I went backwards quicker than I went forwards.
    If you suffer from cramps force fins could be our answer. On boats and rhibs they come into their own because of there small size.
    Jet fins suck balls, you might as well strap 2 planks of 3/4 ply to your feet!
    The savvy good looking diver ( and elvis) wears the Hollis F1's
    BK

16. paul f

paul f Member

are there any videos that show you how to 1. frog kick with FF's 2. the best way to fin with FF's

17. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

You may want to reconsider, Steptoe also has a pair... :p

18. divewench

divewench Well-Known Member

Husband swear by his jet fins but I love my Atomic splits (opens can of worms) :time bomb:

19. Pete

Pete Banned

I wonder why no one has mentioned those fins that fold up so you can play transformers on the boat . Or those that have hinges and springs/big elastic bands on.
    Seriously though I have seen lots of divers kicking the shit out of the viz in clown fins but I think that's down to how they fin . Cox god bless him even though he has a shit taste in football teams Air Gizzler hardly ever leaves a silt cloud behind him
    Pete

Air-Guzzler likes this.
  20. Elvis

Elvis Banned

Yer but they both copied me.