1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...any ex-smokers out there!

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by divingdoc1, Jun 9, 2009.

1. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

Ok I know that this will shock everybody out there, but the man mountain that is Doc has an imperfection..

Please be gentle with him...he's not used to being anything less than god-like:D

Seriously, are there any ex-smokers out there who had a real bad time giving up, and if there is, how did you finally kick it?

Please, please, please, do not give me, "i just decided and that was that"...I give up a least once a week and i dont seem to have much willpower when it comes to the ciggies!

Also please do not tell me about how much richer, better health ill enjoy and who much better my sac rate will be....i know all the sensible arguments...but the ciggies still win out (how wierd is that?)

You will win the undying love and devotion of Mrs Doc, Dic Doc and Baby Doc if you can help (not sure if thats a good thing??:scared:)

2. sazza

sazza New Member

did you ever try patches ?? or false ciggies??? or gum???

3. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

Morning Sazz...yerp forgot to mention:
    I have tried patches, gum, false ciggies, hypnosis, acupuncture....neither are easy to light!!! So ive tried all of those.

I was really looking for a mental/physical approach rather than trtying to rely on aids again!

Sits back and waits for people to tell me i can do my Gue should i give up!

4. Angry Dan

Angry Dan Active Member

I have heard that the amount you smoke is directly proportional to the amount of shandy you drink.

Needless to say I have never smoked.

5. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

i hear in your case its coke and coke..!!!

Are you coming down on the weekend of the 28th

6. sazza

sazza New Member

FFS!!!!! honestly!!!! to be truthful then doc, your only help is you YOU HAVE TO WANT TO ENOUGH........if your doing it for any other reason it wont work which is why it probably never has!!!!!

you have to make the decision commit and think long and hard before you light each ciggy, why am i doing this, do i really want this, or am i having a mental tantrum, try doing something else to take your mind off the ciggy, have something else healthy....

have you tried Paul McKenna, i really rate him...he has some very useful tips and exercises, alot relate to linking what you love ( ie the ciggies ) with something that makes you heave.....

of course you could do it for Mrs doc and the little docs!!!!!

7. Baz

Baz Active Member

I am on the nicorette inhalator at the moment with varying degrees of sucess each day.

You could draw how ever much cash you spend on cigarettes a week out of the bank in fivers and stuff the cost of your usual spend in a box each day. You then have a physical & mental incentive. Obviously if it is not about the money, it wont work for you.

If it makes you feel any better or worse i quit for 2 years then started again!

8. Angry Dan

Angry Dan Active Member

I should find out today if I am on call for the weekend if not then I will come for a visit.

9. Gnomey

Gnomey Well-Known Member

I think the only way of really giving up is really REALLY wanting to. I know when I gave up it was for health reasons so I really needed. It was the shock that helpped me.
    Do you smoke at the same times or in the same situations all the time like more of a habbit than the craving? Like first thing after a dive?, right after breakfast? maybe get someone to squirt you with a water pistol filled with orrid stuff everytime they see you light up?

10. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

To see if it helps with your motivation later I will describe some of the patients I used to treat. However, am in the middle of marking at the momenet so will be back.

11. kitkat

kitkat New Member

My dad made himself very ill trying to quit smoking. He tried everything and put a lot of pressure on himself for a long time. It got to the point where we thought it would actually be better for him just to keep smoking. So he resigned himself to the fact that he would never be able to quit. And then one day he woke up, didn't really feel like having a cigarette and never had one again. No pressure, just motivated by the fact that it had been 2 days, 3 days, a week without one...

On another thought, surely your children and family are THE biggest motivator for you to quit. Look at the bigger, more serious picture in regards to how smoking will eventually affect your life. Imagine baby doc not having a dad every time you light up or crave a cigarette.

Just a few thoughts from me.

12. Stephen Mitchell

Stephen Mitchell New Member

Doc, I gave up 15 years ago, it was hell for a while. First one of the day, then the one after dinner and at pub were the worst. As said you must REALLY want it. I started by putting off lighting up. In the morning instead of lighting up as I got up I waited until I was washed and dressed, after dinner I would wash-up then light up, at the pub I would finish my drink then light up. If playing darts would wait till game was over. Slowly I increased the delay in lighting up, then dropped one smoke at a time so I would not light up until after breakfast, after next pint etc. Make a deal with yourself to have the ciggie after you have finished doing something. Then slowly extend the time between wanting and lighting ciggy. It took me over six months but it does work. Oh and you won't be any richer you will spend the money elsewhere - Mrs Doc and little Docs. Good luck.

13. oneill207

oneill207 Member

Doc
    I finally gave up 3 years ago after numerous attempts. I did it through the NHS quitline and a group they ran. This gave me the necessary willpower - it may work for you and the upside is that patches etc are on prescription so they are really subsidised.
    Good luck in your endeavours
    PS - SAC rate never been better:D

14. andy_richardson

Doc, I gave up 12 years ago, after starting smoking at age 14. I found that you've got to break it down into 2 seperate things. Firstly you have the actual habit of smoking, that is the actual ritual of lighting up, having the ciggie in your hand, etc.,etc. You also have the addiction side, nicotine being one of the most addictive substances known (why do you think so many people smoke?)

You'll have a hard time stopping smoking if you try to beat the habit and the addiction at the same time. I stopped by firstly breaking the habit and then once the habit was out of the way, dealing with the addiction. Nicotine inhalers are a realy cr*p idea, beacuse you still get your nicotine, and you still perform the same rituals as you would with a ciggie. Gum worked for me, whenever I wanted a ciggie, I would have a piece of gum, until I reached the point where I no longer had the ritualistic behaviours of the habit, but had swapped the for a different habit (i.e. gum chewing). From there i swapped from nictoine gum to ordinary gum, so I was still maintaining the new habit, but removing the addictive part of the old one.

Pick a date to stop. Have your last ciggie the night before. Get rid of all the paraphenalia that goes with it (lighters, ashtrays etc.). DO NOT keep a pack of ciggies in the kitchen drawer just in case of emergencies - you'll only end up smoking them:mad:. When you stop using nicotine, you'll be an absolute sh1t for about 7-10 days as your body screams out for it, but get through that and you're laughing. PM me if you want to ask anything.

15. Baz

Baz Active Member

Tried the gum, makes me incredibly ill. Tried the microtabs ditto. Only thing that is getting me through at the moment is an inhaler.

16. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

Thanks a lot guys, gives me a lot to think about and make a few plans!!!!

17. marks61

marks61 Member

Sorry Doc smoked from when i was about 13/14 at School and at 32/3 and on 40 a day it really was that easy I just stopped crumpled up half a packet much to the disgust of a fellow smoker and that was that. :thumbup:

The richer bit is cobblers never had any more money in my pocket once i stopped, also it doesnt bother me if people smoke around me I just dont want one any more, :D that was 14/15 years ago by the way :thumbup:

18. veewulf

veewulf Member

sorry doc but with me it was at a time that i had flu was bad in bed and when i felt better i thought its been 2/3 days since i had a smoke lets see how long i can go that was about 25 years ago
    i agree with others when they say the habit is as bad as the addiction i noticed it most in pubs ciggie in one hand and pint in the other but you do get over it just harder for some than others
    hang in there when it gets tough and you can eventually get through to the smoke free zone Thumbs Up

19. sazza

sazza New Member

so come on then doc, how did day one go?????

20. rick

rick Member

I've never smoked myself... but I know a couple of people who have tried on and off for a number of years, both are now giving Champix a go:

Champix info

NHS Smokefree options

They were both pretty hardcore smokers - and they had a go with most things - hence trying medication. I know that both of them seem to be having success in giving up but they mention that the side effects can be a little bit nasty (dizziness, nausea etc.) and that they would not like to be driving etc. while they were on the course.

Just an alternative, anyway :)