1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pembrokeshire Falconry

Can anyone recommend any dive companies in Malta (who also do accommodation, if possible)

Plus any particular dive sites there which shouldn’t be missed?

Thanks

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I did a week with an Essex club and we dived at Paradise Diving - next to the Gozo ferry. Very professional, a range of varied sites from their boat/s and easy kitting up about 50 yards from the jetty; Nitrox available. I'm heading back later this year with my wife staying at a hotel on a beach outside Meleiha that has a dive centre on the premises - think that will be a mix of shore and boat dives. Not many fish but lots of swim-throughs and a couple of old patrol boats cleaned out and sunk for divers.

3. Chimpus

Chimpus Member

Dived with Seashell Dive Centre in 2015, located at Mellieha at the north end of Malta https://www.seashelldivingmalta.com/
    They are a family run company and were friendly, welcoming and enjoyable to dive with.
    Also, more recently dived with Scuba Kings in 2017, based on Gozo https://www.divemalta-gozo.com/ I think they may offer accommodation too.
    I would be very happy to dive with both companies again, but Gozo is lovely island. A bit quieter than the main island.

4. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Maltaqua in St. Pauls have nearby apartments.

Must do dives are the Southwold (both parts) and le Polynesian. If you like subs, the Stubborn is pretty good too.

5. Pembrokeshire Falconry

Thanks. That wreck sounds great... I should clarify though that I’d like recommendations which aren’t tech dives lol :D

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Another vote for Maltaqua, used them twice and will hopefully do so again this year.

Divewise are also good but don’t do accommodation (not in 2017 anyway).

7. Chimpus

Chimpus Member

The P-31 wreck is not tech. Lying in about 20m. Just off coast of Comino .

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I was pottering through it and suddenly got stuck going through a door. Decided that, blocking the exit for the two divers behind me and with a guide not far away, somebody was going to sort me out. turned out that I'd hooked a hose on a long pipe. The guide apologised to my wife when we returned to shore that he hadn't managed to get rid of me as instructed and pretended to hand her the money back!

9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Never dived the Southwold but I do agree the Polynesian and Stubborn are worth a visit, especially Polynesian.

My avatar picture show me on the final dive of a CCR course with HMS Stubborn, and my excellent buddy, in the background. Soon after taking this photo our instructor indicated we should bail out to open circuit and start our ascent.

10. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Rozi, P29 and Um el Faroud are worth the effort although they do involve a fair bit of finning.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

When is the Maltese diving season?

Wouldn't it be lovely to do a UKD trip...

JohnL and nickb like this.
  12. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I did a Jingle trip last year. The video is on Vimeo & write up is inbound but it’s a great place

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Not sure, but I’ve dived there in Nov and Feb. Was a little wet in Nov and a bit windy in Feb, but still dived (although the Feb trio was more like punishment, albeit very funny punishment).

14. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

I've dived there in August, September, November and May.

August and November we had quite heavy rain and wind. It was never cold. Being an island there is usually a sheltered place to hide.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Would anyone be interested in an off-season trip to Malta?

What's the water temperature in, say, February?

16. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I’ve been in late November and it was awesome. I did my MOD2 in high summer in 2011 and that was quite brutal.

17. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I’d be up for a group trip

Wibble likes this.
  18. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

IIRC Feb was 15degC or thereabouts.

19. SimonL

SimonL New Member

Just come back from Malta. Dived with friends using Maltaqua, St. Paul's Bay (who I'd recommend) for gas, etc.

Water temperature currently 17/18C but you can Google for average sea temps throughout the year.

If you want to learn more on sites I recommend investing in in Peter Lemon's book on Malta diving http://www.scubadivingmalta.co.uk/ - well worth the investment!

20. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

I normally go in May though this year I went for Easter. The water temperature is alright but it can be blowy. The wind usually affects what sites you can do at that time of year

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk