1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medical Certificate

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by ChrisC, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

I am PADI qualified and off to Majorca soon. I am hoping to dive while I am out there. Does anyone know if I require a medical certificate for Spain and if so can I self certify? If yes then can someone please send me a link to the relevant form. I have been searching on line and can only find a BSAC form.

Thanks

2. Jen

Jen New Member

Hi Chris,

I haven't dived in Spain for a while, but last time I was there they just required me to sign the standard PADI medical form and as long as you don't answer yes to any of the questions, then that was all they required, I don't expect the requirements have changed, they should give you the form when you get there, but it might be worth contacting them in advance to double check :)

Jen

3. Flyingspanner

Flyingspanner Well-Known Member

Each time I have dived in Spain I've had to produce a Medical Cert, I believe it's required by Spanish Law, but I know others that have just had to sign the basic PADI "If u die, it's your fault" form.
    I'd suggest asking the dive centre you're planning to use.

4. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

as flyingspanner said, it is Spanish law but it appears to be regularly flouted by a number of Spanish Dive Centres. try and contact one before you go and see what they require

5. Gixasix

Gixasix New Member

We were asked once for a certificate but the previous 3 times just had to fill in the PADI form! Best to contact the dive centre and ask before you go. If you do need a cert you'll probably get it cheaper there than in UK.

I think it cost us around 60 euros a couple of years ago which was a lot cheaper than getting our own docs to do it before we went!

6. Sakara Drinker

Sakara Drinker Posting Sh*te since 2005

I have a copy. PM me your email address and I will send it.

Phil

7. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

I did some research on this end of last year, previously whenever I have dived in Spain (and Canaries) it has been a legal requirement for a Doctors signed medical certificate.
    Now you may find some centres willing to accept Self Certification form, but that does not comply with Spanish law, which still requires a Doctors signature.

I contacted many dive centres and had mixed 'responses'

For example I have dived with Corralejo Dive Centre several times, and they follow the law and insist on a Dr. signed certificate.

If I came across a dive cntre that did not want this, it would make me look elsewhere.

I have a local Doctor in UK who does a Medical for me, and I renew it every 2 years .... it's only £20 ... and a good check that I'm OK to dive.
    The guy is a diver himself.

I can let you have a copy of the PADI form if you wish .... my Doc signs these rather than self cert, but it's the same form.