1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NERD2 early impressions

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by nickb, Jun 12, 2018.

1. nickb

nickb Active Member

This relates to the DiveCAN NERD2 on a JJ-CCR but there is nothing unit-specific about my comments.

After a week or so of using it I can sadly reveal that I'm not particularly impressed.

The effective display is a lot smaller than that on the NERD1 (I think they say it's the equivalent of a 25" screen at 12' whereas the old one was like a 32" screen at the same distance. This has the slight 'advantage' that one doesn't need to direct it quite so precisely in order to see the whole display, but that's probably me just justifying the expense to myself.

I have no need of AI so I'm struggling to see what I'm gaining. I do like getting rid of the battery box but I've only got through 3 or 4 SAFTs in 2½ years of using the NERD1 (maybe 250 dives)

All in all, I'm regretting upgrading and am seriously considering offloading the NERD2 and reverting to the old one, which I've still got for sale.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What does Shearwater consider the benefits of the new version to be?

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I was thinking the same. Does it do anything better than the earlier one?

4. nickb

nickb Active Member

They've made it possible to use with open circuit by eliminating the separate battery box. Everything is now in the head-up display which is why, I assume, the display is somewhat smaller.

Of course, using it with OC is no good when one switches regulators, unless it can me mounted on the mask, rather than the reg hose.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not sure it's needed in OC as it's a bloody embuggerance on the reg, something that can be knocked off, and you loose it when sitting on deco.

They're fixing problems which don't exist. I can see my wrist computer very clearly. AND I can see my buddy's dive computer when hanging on to a shot line like a flag in the current as we do our deco... (last weekend in Dover!)

I can see the use on a box as you've got the convenient mounting point of the massive DSV/BOV and loops. Again though, you've lost your computer display if you're on bailout. So you still need a second computer.

Personally, and with absolutely sod all experience, I'm not sure I really get the concept of a NERD as there's the HUD lights and one or two wrist-mounted computers.

6. nickb

nickb Active Member

It IS a second computer on a JJ. The main one is on your wrist.

HUD lights give you, at worst, a 'go-no go' situation or, at best, an indication of your PO2 and maybe some deco ceiling warnings.

A NERD gives you, essentially, a Petrel screen right in front of your eye. I would hate to go back to a basic HUD now. My disappointment isn't with the NERD, which is awesome.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sorry, didn't realise it was one of two computers -- lack of CCR experience showing here.

Interesting how I'd inferred that it was the only computer, sort of comes from the various 'box price lists where NERDs are sold as replacements for a Petrel.

Question: are both the NERD and the wrist computer wired to the cells? i.e. both display O2 cell values?

8. nickb

nickb Active Member

Yes, all three cell values are displayed. Essentially, the NERD gives you all the information you'd get from the Petrel handset.

I almost never have to look at my wrist.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Can you adjust the NERD for focus, e.g. age-related long sightedness

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

It's lessening my original short sightedness - if I live long enough, I won't need glasses. :geek: Don't you have a mask that copes with your gauges or won't this work with head-up display?

11. nickb

nickb Active Member

There's no need. I have no idea how this voodoo works but you don't need to focus it. It just works.

I don't know whether that applies for extremely long or short-sighted people but, before my cataract surgery and resulting intra-ocular lens implants, I needed about +4.5 correction for close vision and didn't need any with the NERD.

12. nickb

nickb Active Member

It won't work. Before the above surgery ^^^ I needed a mask with correction for my left eye so I could read my handset but not in the right for the NERD.

I now have tri-focal implants and it's been life changing, literally.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Now that's a neat trick, probably that one feature alone's worth having one (reading a wrist-based computer can be hard)

14. nickb

nickb Active Member

It's the best thing on my rebreather. I love it.