1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Dale Martin, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

Hi all,
    New member here (thanks for having me) and only started diving in August as my wife bought me the PADI OWD course for my 40th birthday, then had the decency not to roll her eyes too much as I accidentally acquired a load of gear :D.
    I've spent many years snorkelling at holiday destinations but never got round to diving as I didn't think that I was missing out on much but have now discovered the joy of breathing underwater.
    So far I've had quite a few dives at Capernwray and also did my deep diver course at Stoney Cove. I'd like to get some UK shore diving in this year and would also like to investigate the tales of poor visibility at Eccleston Delph (because it seems like as good an excuse as any to go and dive somewhere new).
    Off to the Maldives shortly and have had to buy a bigger suitcase for some reason...
    Cheers
    Dale

Dean areon likes this.
  2. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Welcome.
    You're obviously not the Dale Martin who taught me to dive then.
    That makes 3 divers on forums with the same names as people I know in real life!

Dean areon likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome to the forum Dale.

I've a feeling that there may be a rather a large difference between your diving experiences in the UK and in the Maldives :) Do let us know how you get on -- photos are always appreciated to get us in the envious mood!

There's loads of really interesting diving to be done in the UK. Whilst the inland dive sites are moderately interesting and very reliable -- it takes a hurricane or severe ice to close -- the sea around our shores is amazing. We've such a huge diversity of conditions and interesting sites to explore with a coastline strewn with wrecks.

As you're in the north, definitely look into a trip to the Farne Islands in Aug / Sept to go and play with the sea dogs. A fantastic experience.

Diving sure is addictive!

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome Dale
    A mere youngster, I started at 68. You were also quicker off the mark than me to get your own kit; I explained it as my old man's indulgence and much cheaper than a little sports car, although I'm not sure management believes me.:whistling:
    We went on a cruise on a small boat around the Maldives about five years ago. The crew were all smart young men with tidy hair, except for the dive master - he was the one with greasy black hair tied into a ponytail and with a cigarette permanently attached to his top lip. I missed my chance to start diving then:jawdrop:. Are you on an island or a boat?

5. Colliwobbles

Colliwobbles Active Member

Welcome to the madhouse!!!!

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Hiya. Enjoy your adventures!

7. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

Thanks for the replies.

Figured that if I didn't get my own gear then I'd end up only diving on holiday and feeling uncomfortable due to getting out of practice.

I'll be staying on Sun Island in the Maldives, I stayed there in 2000 and the fish and reef around the island were so fascinating that I ended up snorkelling for a couple of hours every day. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the currents as I remember how strong they were without the added encumbrance of dive gear...
    I'll be taking my gopro clones with me so that I can capture anything interesting. I also find my trim and air consumption get much better when I take a camera out with me - maybe it's just because I have something else to play with.

Don't have a regular dive buddy at the moment so have mainly been tagging along on courses run by my dive club and spending time at the pool practising bouyancy. My mate was an instructor on the Red Sea for a number of years and I've been trying to get him to have a medical so that we can go together, I'm hoping that once the weather warms up he'll sort it out. Failing that I know that if I arranged a trip to the Menai Straits he'd be certified in a heartbeat!

8. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

The Maldives was awesome, I managed to get 7 dives in without annoying my wife too much.
    Saw Mantas, a Whale Shark, Octopuses, Turtles, White & Black Tip Reef Sharks, Stingrays, Lionfish and plenty of other colourful fish and corals. The corals certainly weren't as abundant as when I was there in 2000 but there was still plenty of colour.

A few stills ripped from my action cam footage (definitely need to get a red filter for it)
    Whale Shark Small.jpg
    Lionfish Small.jpg Black Spotted Stingray Small.jpg

Dean areon, NickPicks and Wibble like this.
  9. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

instead of a red filter, import the images into lightroom and adjust the white balance. Currently, everything is green because the light source has a green tint. If you correct the white balance, you'll bring the colours out nicely.

10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree, a filter will reduce the amount of light coming into the camera lens and when underwater you really need as much light as possible.

When I had a GoPro I had a filter on it and was usually a bit disappointed with image quality as it was a bit grainy. I eventually took the filter off and although the image was blue/green it was a lot better quality.

11. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

Thanks. I'll have a play when I get chance later.