1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otter drysuit first impressions

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by splinter, Nov 6, 2017.

1. splinter

splinter Active Member

This weekend in Oban, I got to put my new Otter Brittanic mk2 through its paces, with six dives over the weekend.

First impression when I picked it up from JJ at otter were incredible. The fit is spot on and I really like the attention to detail, like a length of 10mm bungee sewn into the pocket flap to make it easier to grip in gloves, the size and layout of the pockets, position of the dump valve and numerous other little details. The service from Otter was everything their reputation promised. I took my old otter suit in to be pressure tested and after finding it probably wasn't economical to repair, they didn't charge me for the test.

In use, there's a bit of a knack to getting it on and off, but I soon got the hang of it. It feels great once on. So nice to finally have a suit that fits properly instead of a string of suits that almost fit or are nearly dry.

I love the Kubi dry glove system. It's so easy to use and is unobtrusive. You barely notice the rings and my hands were bone dry and toasty warm all weekend. JJ recommended the 80mm rings. They're a bit snug to get my hand through with undergloves on, but he said it was better to go for as small a profile as you can get away with. Miles better than the sitech antares I had previously.

This was the first time I've used a pee valve. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, to say the least. I really wish I'd remembered the advice to trim the pubes from my gentleman's area! I won't forget again and it was a bit nerve wracking doing it with a pair of trauma shears after the first time tbh. The second attempt went better and I got the Johnny to fit OK. I also should have taken into account that my house, where I measured myself, is a bit warmer than a dive boat in Scotland, in November. Little splinter looked like it had gone into hibernation and left a fair bit of spare room in the condom. Fortunately it didn't cause any problems other than to my self esteem. Even though it worked ok on the surface, when I tried to use it during the dive i couldn't let go. I couldn't seem to make myself trust it. I'll give it another go next time.

Unfortunately I didn't get chance to do a proper weight check in it, so was a bit over weighted in Oban, but it shouldn't take long to get sorted. I can now reach my valves a lot easier and whilst my shutdowns still aren't pretty, I can do them and it'll be a lot easier to practice in a properly fitted suit.

It wasn't a cheap purchase and it took some time (and a fairly decent bonus from work) to talk myself into buying it, but I'm really glad I did. Anyone in the market for a new suit, I'd highly recommend Otter.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

reefer and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  2. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

splinter likes this.
  4. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Great , glad your happy with the suit. Re the pee valve , yes shave up. If nothing else there great for a last minute whiz on the boat or on the surface. Underwater I struggle to go without holding onto something ! Probably the effort of staying still detracts my mind from being able to pee so I relax more with a hand on a bit of wreck / rock. I've yet to dive with a buddy I dislike enough to hold them whilst I pee.