1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Privacy on iPhone

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by grubjpeg, Nov 2, 2016.

1. grubjpeg

grubjpeg New Member

I am going to replace my iPhone 5S. I am wondering what is the right method to completely destroy personal data on the device? I will sell it on eBay.

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I remember my son-in-law taking a large hammer to the hard drive of an old computer - could affect the price you could sell it for.:whistling:

3. nickb

nickb Active Member

4. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Using a hammer may lead to personal injury. An alternative might be to wash it clean: a twenty minute cycle at 60drgrees with a good quality detergent might be safer.

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Get a Samsung Note. It has a built in mode that auto-wipes the whole phone :)

6. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Back it up first to either iCloud or your local PC then:
    Settings > General > Reset, and then choose Erase All Content and Settings.
    Once your new phone is online you can restore the backup you previously saved.

7. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Pretty sure Griffalo's response is correct.... AFAIK the data is encrypted on the phone anyway, so raw data from the memory would be no use. The reset and erase is absolutely fine.

8. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Might be useful info for somebody, but I doubt that the banned scriptkiddy spammer OP from Canada will ever be back.

Wibble likes this.