1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santi Smart Glove System

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Cybes, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

I've seen Becky's videos (Becky1 and Becky2) and found them to be very helpful. My concern with the other method you speak of [Becky2] (folding the glove around the O-ring before attaching it to the Glove ring) relies on only one thin O-ring to seal the glove.

I believe the Ultima system uses two O-rings?

Perhaps I'll go back to a rubber latex glove? I don't like Marigold gloves as they are much too thin. I also have small hands and most rubber gloves have very long fingers.
    I have heard that the Santi gloves tend to stick and make it difficult to handle a spool. Haven't tried the G-Glove (only two sizes and probably too large) or the Kubi gloves.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

An example is I find getting my hands into a Kent Tooling reel's handle just seems more clumsy as it were. Useful to know that the Showas are similar.

On the positive side, the thick Kubi textured gloves have lasted a *lot* longer than any G17k (aka Marigolds) which rarely last more than a few dives before there's a tiny pinprick. They're much warmer too. My current pair has lasted three winters!

I'm still using my Fourth Element Glove Liners as undergloves. Like those as they're still warm when the gloves leak. In winter I add a fingerless mitt for extra warmth.

3. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I can understand why you don't have confidence in the thin O - ring that santi provides, it does seem very thin. However many people use this system without issues (altho not me, but that's a different story!). What many don't seem to realise is that you can change out the supplied O rings, they don't have to be a specific, precise size. Order a few different sizes and thicknesses from most engineering supplies websites and have a play.

Generally speaking if it feels like it will seal, it will.

I'm not using the standard kubi supplied glove sealing O-Ring on my kubi gloves I'm using one thats quite a bit thinner, almost as thin as the santi smart gloves ring, although not quite. I find it just fits better.

One o-ring has been the staple for Kubi for years x

4. Brian

Brian New Member

Thanks for your reply Beck9. Why do you prefer the Kubi Ring System to the Santi Smart Glove system?
    Thanks also for posting your videos on U-tube as I found them very helpful. I've downloaded your STL files as well but not sure if I'll actually print the jigs as I'm not sure which method I'll use to attach my gloves.
    If I do print and use the Santi jigs I'll send you a donation for all the work you've done.
    I suppose I could try another type of O-ring (rather than the cover ring) to seal the glove on my Santi glove ring but I'm not very confident in doing that. The Santi cover ring is less likely to roll off.
    I'm also considering going back to an unlined rubber glove such as the Kubi glove or the Santi and attaching it as recommended by Santi. (The Becky9 number one method ;) )

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

@becky9 was using the Kubi rings long before the Santi system were available and there is nothing really wrong with so why switch? I’ve actually got Becky’s old rings so I have a second set.

I’ve used a few dry glove systems (DUI ZipGloves, KWTT and Santi SmartGloves) and the Santi are by far my favourite, simple relatively cheap and effective.

6. Brian

Brian New Member

Thanks for your experienced opinion. The Santi System is my favourite so far. I haven't tried the Kubi system though. I'm now looking for a reliable dry glove to attach to the Santi Glove Ring. I've been using the lined medium sized Showa 660's but that has caused the Cover Ring to stretch and I'm unable to locate a replacement.
    Considering trying the Santi Glove or Kubi gloves next. I've tried the Santi medium but they are a bit too large for my stubby fingers. I'll try the small size next. Do you know if the Kubi glove sizes are similar to the Santis?

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The only gloves I’ve used are Showas I’m afraid so have little input into other gloves I’m afraid

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The big Kubi textured gloves have shortish fingers.

I use them as my winter gloves. The main drawback is loss of feeling and a bit of dexterity. Can sometimes be a sod to clip stages/torches/etc. off. Will shortly change back to the thinner G17K summer gloves. Whilst they regularly leak, there's far more dexterity and feeling.