1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheringham First

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by JohnL, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Well, I got in and got down - but couldn't stay down until I filled my dry suit pocket with rocks. :whistling: I didn't get below 4m on the whole dive - that was where the chalk reef was. There was also a current that made it all pretty tough and we finished with a long swim back to the centre of town, rather than our entry point. We got up to the walkway and took off our kit and Nick, who had been very good about my shortcomings, went off to get his car.
    As Wibble says, time underwater and the difficult dives add experience - I now know to go to Sheringham slightly overweighted, using my harness rather than integrated weights as I was feet light. But, all in all, not a bad first dive in the sea in the UK. The next one will be better.

Dale Martin and splinter like this.
  2. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I don't know how much lead you carry @JohnL but seawater is around 3% denser than fresh, so whatever your "all-up" weight is for Stoney, you will need to add three percent of extra lead. The PADI statements of 1~2kg really only work for a lithe 65kg wetsuit diver.

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I dived there with 11kg two weeks ago on an abortive dive and thought I was too heavy when I descended, as did the dive master that I was with. I dived without a t-shirt today that, if anything, should reduce weight needed. I shaved off a kilogram - might have been fine without the current and surge. Another lesson - conditions can change your weighting requirements.

furryman likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Better to be a bit overweighted than underweighted especially when doing a shallow drift.

Memories of drifting 'light' near Brighton where the rocks are chalk and don't weigh much. Was a real challenge to stay down.

One of the issues with overweighting is you end up with more air in your suit and BCD, so this expands more when you ascend. More air means more feedback, so it all goes wrong very quickly when ascending. I'm going, I'm going.... too late, I'm on the surface.

But, swinging this around, it means one has to learn to react more quickly so should (maybe?) end up with better skills.

My first few drysuit dives weren't good at all! So I'd put your dive down as a good one with lots of new experience gained.