1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical Diving: An Introduction by Mark Powell

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by georgedavo, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

A note about Fundies...

It's an excellent course, can't recommend it more highly. But... You need to be ready to take the course, which is why I guess they've split it into a two parter. When I did it, I didn't have the core skills (buoyancy, finning, trim), so found it very difficult and frustrating. Just being able to be motionless in the water is probably one of the hardest dive skills to master. I didn't have that, so didn't pass. Although that's moot as the skills learned on the course I use every time I dive.

If ever one comes up, do take a GUE experience day (maybe it's renamed nowadays). That's the day where they show you what a diver should dive like -- and it's nothing like a DiveMaster -- but please ask the instructor to demonstrate the 'buddah' ;)

GUE's rarely openly on forums these days, but there is a faecesbook presence somewhere.

2. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Hmmm, I've noticed they've split it into two parts, but there's still the opportunity to take fundies as a whole. Are the instructors on here planning on teaching the two halves if need be, or is everyone carrying on as before just teaching fundies as one? (question for any GUE instructor)

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'd guess that my experience wasn't unique and that this would present the opportunity of a weaker student to go away and practice the skills.

Splitting it into two two day chunks means it can be run over two weekends, easier for some people.

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Both options are still available. Splitting into two parts gives the ability to practice any weak point as required. Having just done the course (in two parts) I found part 1 to be quite light on content where part 2 was very intense and heavy going.

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

How did you get on?

I keep coming back to the idea of trying to upgrade mine, just for the sake of completeness I suppose.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

They wont let you do Fundies in sidemount nor with Cyclones :)

8. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

I'm Interested in the GUE course. is there a too early in diving to do it?

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I first did it with 20 dives wearing a wetsuit and a single cylinder. I didn't pass it back then but learnt a lot and I'm sure it improved my diving. I did it again with around 400 dives in a drysuit and twinset.

Anything from about 50 dives would be a good bet. Anything less than that and you won't get as much out of it as you otherwise could.

10. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

I'm only 20+ dives and 10 drysuit dives so may leave it for another year or two

11. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

Its frustrating getting dives at the moment other than club weekends at Stoney. The clubs went to NDAC, but again work commitments blocked that

12. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll get something out of it whatever stage of your diving career that you do it but if you are still struggling with buoyancy then you are just making life hard for yourself and the instructor won't be able to teach you the content of the course as effectively.

13. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

Buoyancy is a concern. Had it perfect in my opinon at Stoney in a drysuit although 14kg in neoprene. Farnes, the 1st dive was a mare. My 1st saltwater dive, no instructors, the weight belt was loose and i just couldn't get down (16kg) put some more weight on 2nd dive 18kg and then shifted 2kg from the bcd pockets to the trims on bcd. I really just need a whole weekend on trim and bouyancy again. Its ok doing it in freshwater, but ....

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd be quite surprised if you couldn't get that weight down with practice. How are you doing your weight checks and what undergarments/suit are you wearing?

15. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

Yeah weight check. I was with 3 other students/divers and no instructors, they were in egypt lol so there was no weight checks. I was wearing othree pbb extreme and a merino base layer

16. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Both options are still available. Splitting into two parts gives the ability to practice any weak point as required. Having just done the course (in two parts) I found part 1 to be quite light on content where part 2 was very intenheavy going
    Got a tech pass. Now need to decide what comes next and save up for it..

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  17. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

It wouldn't be hard to get a day's coaching with a GUE instructor, instructor intern of other tech agency instructor.
    @Zubar did some coaching with a GUE instructor (now sadly sprogged up) and got a lot of value from it. @Herrhair would be happy to brainwash you, I'm sure and I'm pretty sure @timmyg does coaching too.
    Mark Powell does coaching too AFAIK.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

@timmyg - what other options are available aside from Fundies which achieves similar results?

@Graysyid - it's time in the water that matters as well as courses. Messing around in NDAC going up and over the 'attractions' is useful, and quite interesting, fun even. Spending some time on the dreaded platforms is useful for sorting out buoyancy, trim and finning -- there's something about platforms at 6ish metres that makes one's skills go to ratshit!

What kit do you dive with (single / twinset)? Have you sorted your wing, etc.?

Maybe we should get some people from here to go up to NDAC one weekend? December's a tough month to get permission to go and play, but how about Sat 22nd Dec? Anyone else interested?

19. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

That’s a good idea. I spent a day with a GUE bloke (not sure he dives anymore, might be the one Dominic refers to) and assistant which helped immeasurably in terms of setting up my harness and twins and understanding how I should actually be moving underwater.

Also have done courses with Mark Powell and Tim which were excellent and really helped me.

Time in the water is key though.

20. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I think there’s TDI ‘Intro to Tec’, though just a day of someone’s time would be a good idea until they feel ready for something more serious.

I’d love to come on the 22nd but I’ll be in France. ☺️