1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical Diving: An Introduction by Mark Powell

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by georgedavo, Nov 27, 2018.

1. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

No go for me either, i'll be sailing the southern atlantic on my way to the Falklands.

2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Sounds like quite an adventure.

How long are you away for?

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Proper sailing? Where from?

Nice one:)

NDAC's just not glamorous enough.

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

You're either really late for the last conflict or a little early for the next one...

5. John F

John F Active Member

I would be up for NDAC as long as I have my dry suit back from O three by then.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Excellent. I'll start a thread just in case there's others interested

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok ‘sailing’ might be a bit of a stretch but we will be on a boat. I have a three week long trip cruising around wildlife spotting. We leave from Argentina and go to the Falklands, South Georgia, South Shetland and the Antarctic peninsula before returning back to Argentina.

splinter and JohnL like this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That's an amazing itinerary, especially for nature spotting.

9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Back in the '60s I worked for Peat Marwick Mitchell and our department had the audit of the Falkland Islands - the local government, hospital etc. etc. Every two years, a senior and junior were despatched for two months (if my memory serves). Edgar, the senior, was a keen walker and initially ranged the area around Stanley in his time off. After the war, his walks were curtailed. They stayed at the Upland Goose before it was known outside the island. Unfortunately, I never got on the job.
    Enjoy the trip.

10. Herrhair

Herrhair New Member

Hi Guys,

As has already been pointed out, you can indeed take Fundies as a two-part class. Part one concentrates on the basic skills, buoyancy, trim and propulsion, i.e. the basic platform from which we can build upon. As wibble said, part one is all about staying still :), leaving part two for the more advanced skills (S-drill, valve drill, SMB etc). The two-part class gives people time to practise and hone the skills learned in P1 before attempting P2. Of course, the traditional four-day class is also still available.

I'm planning on running a GUE Experience Day in January 2019 (venue TBD) and have space on Fundamentals classes in the New year, so if anyone would like more info about either, please feel free to PM me :).

Regards

Neil Powell
    GUE Instructor

Graysyid likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

@Herrhair - do let us know when & where you’re planning the experience day.

Thoroughly recommended for people interested in sorting their skills.

Graysyid likes this.
  12. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Not thinking of Jan as it would be too cold, but is there an age limit for the experience days?

Also, at what age can Rec 1 be commenced?

13. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

15. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry for the late reply, full-time childcare (both parents military) is eating into my free evening time hence I've generally been quiet on here & have so many blogs and how to's that I need to finish.

Personally, I would choose TDI's Into to Tech course. 3 dives minimum over 2 days. You cover all of the same skills as Fundies but it's half the time and number of dives so at the end you'll get some work on points. It sets the foundations for latter training but you're not expected to be an expert at this point. Equally though it's a standalone course and you don't need to do it. You can go straight to deco without it but the learning curve on that course would be much steeper.

Some of the points are like owning a motorbike. You can buy a full exhaust system, tail tidies etc... but actually what you should be spending your money on is advanced riding skills (been there done that).

I'm actually deployed for the early part of next year so am not in a position to teach but am happy to point you into the direction of others if you need some advice.

Safe diving.

TG

#55 timmyg, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  16. georgedavo

georgedavo Member

Hi All,

The book seems to be out on Amazon now and I’ve just ordered my copy!

Nick Ward likes this.