1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Art of Valve shutdowns

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Gareth Burrows, Oct 25, 2010.

1. codhead

codhead New Member

Hi Gareth.

Having only just read your thread (I know, a bit slow), I found it very informative and helpful. I am awaiting delivery of my first twinset, and am wary of my ability to do the necessary shutdowns. Your thread (and other contributors) has given me numerous pointers to practice.

Thank you.

2. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Many wise words and many fine technical solutions, but through all of this we would do well not to forget that the simplest solution is always the best. I would go for the isolation every time, and tell others to do the same. Everything else is all just fine tuning, but not very helpful, in an OMG, WTF’s happening, situation.

3. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

There's two other camps out there with perfectly valid reasoning resulting in equally as valid, but different methods.

Make your decision based on your training and what makes sense to you, and then stick with it and practice regularly.... the last thing you want to be doing in that OMG situation is confuse yourself by trying to recall the outcome on a thread you read on UKD a few years back ;)

4. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

So, to recap....

Everyone is in agreement that if you can tell where the bubbles are coming from you go direct to that valve and isolate.

Everyone agrees that the valve drill is just that, a drill, it gets you used to reaching for the valves and develops muscle memory.

Everyone agrees that there are different ways to isolate if you're unsure where the bubbles are coming from, some like to play the numbers, some like to follow logic. But end result is the same, you (hopefully) get out of the water alive.

:D

5. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You're forgetting one critical thing. OK, no you're not. I agree completely. :)

6. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Thought this needed reviving as its a very useful Gafterclass.

C

7. PeterT

PeterT .

A +1 for the new featured thread add-on I'm working on :bookworm: