1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Far too much seasonal office chocolate/goodies and, more importantly, my astonishing lack of will power ...

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Just think about what that fat will do to your buoyancy.:whistling:

3. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Telling one of my buddies that he doesn't need industrial thickness gloves, standard Marigolds are sturdy enough, then on the dive ripping said Marigolds in front of him.

And to compound things, trying to poke the bungee back up my sleeve, badly, making a slightly damp situation very fucking wet.

4. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Not sure if I’m annoyed or amused. I’ve just been told by 3 different
    Hong Kong dive outfits that they don’t dive in January as the water is too cold...

Average temperature? 19*C

Hah!!

Mako-JD and Wibble like this.
  5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

If you are a slim asiatic build as opposed to a lardy english diver, you would need a dry suit at such a low temperature.:whistling:

Alex Denny likes this.
  6. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

19C that's summer temp up here in the north

Alex Denny likes this.
  7. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

I using Wibbs method with flat elastic. Very comfy and easy to just pull out rather than try and push in.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  8. nickb

nickb Active Member

I'd wear a drysuit for diving in 19c water

9. nickb

nickb Active Member

Small cable ties work perfectly for allowing dry glove equalisation

Wibble likes this.
  10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I would too now I have one - North Norfolk reef at 18c was comfortable this year with just a base suit underneath. But I started my diving in Madeira at much the same sort of temperatures wearing a wet suit - can't say it was toastie, but warm enough.

11. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

While they're not out the weekend I'm over (shame) - South China Diving Club - the BSAC club in Hong Kong are, of course, diving throughout January.

You can take the divers out of Britain, but you can't take Britain out of the divers. (Or the divers out of the sea).

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Don't know if you've mentioned this before, but it's a fine idea as they can easily be inserted after donning the suit and the 'lump' will stop it slipping up the cuff whilst giving something to grip on when pulling it out following a glove flood.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  13. nickb

nickb Active Member

I have mentioned it before but it bears repeating.

I thought it was a great idea when I saw someone doing it on our SoM trip last year. They are rigid enough to be easily inserted, unlike those little silicone tubes. They're also flat and don't absorb water, so you won't get soaked if you do hole a glove. And, as you say, they can be pulled out if necessary.

They're also very cheap, and can live in those little zippy drysuit pockets meant for boltsnaps etc.

furryman and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  14. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Ooh, that is a good idea. I keep losing the little bits of silicone tubing (had to cut a bit of line from a spool to use last time!). Any particular size zip ties? Tiny little 2.5mm ones or thicker ones?

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Not so much annoyed as saddened. The Sports Diver course that I've been on seems to have disappeared without trace. Initially, the theory, exam and pool dives would be completed well before Christmas with a trip somewhere warmer in January for the open water dives. Then we were finishing mid-January for a trip to Malta on 21st Jan, then it was Lanzarote on 22 or 23 Jan. Earlier this month, the first stages would definitely be completed in January with the dives sometime in the future, somewhere. Now, here we are on 15th Jan with no revision or exam date. I'm not blaming anyone - the club seems to be in a period of change and it's just not coming together.
    The upside is that I've done the lectures and have my book signed off. I think the way forward is to get the house move out of the way and start diving with the new club in Cheshire on my current qualifications. When they have an SD course, I will join it, sit in on the lectures and complete the rest.

16. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

That's a nuisance John. Good luck at the new club (& with the move!).

17. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

If you've done the lectures and got the book signed off, you just need to find a friendly instructor (at the current or the new club) to do the dives with you. You don't need to have it run as a defined "course".

Good luck with it!

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Undoubtedly very annoying. However the main thing is to learn and be able to apply that learning to your diving, hopefully the training delays won't affect your diving in the short term.