1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Got to be the right decision; important for head to be on straight when you descend. :whistling:

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Brave !

3. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I was thinking about diving Sunday out of Dover. Be nice to get some depth

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I suggest you look at the weather forecast first.... SSW F6-F8 doesn't seem optimal.

5. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I think I stay in bed

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Was replacing a mobile phone screen for a friend and once it was all done (which was a bit of a struggle) the fit wasn't great so I tried to squeeze it a bit more to click it into place and ...............cracked the new screen.

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

When I broke the cover screen on my Zoop, I bought a new one and a spare - I suspect that this will ensure that the computer will die before the screen. Try it with the phone next time :whistling:. Mind you, my daughter has been happily using her phone with a cracked screen for months!

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

After a glorious Easter weekend working on the boat, I was really looking forwards to a trip out to the Persiania this Saturday.

Solid 9's predicted for Saturday.

Yet to dive the Persiania; was blown out for the past two years..

Still, saved me the cost of a helium fill.

9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Should be diving off MS Halton today near Ullapool, but due to my wife having a health alert, had to cancel. Hopefully, nothing too serious, but to her surprise, I said that her health was more important than diving.

Wibble likes this.
  10. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Really shitty day at work. Who votes I buy a Rebreather to cheer myself up? (and if I did, what type?)

11. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Excellent idea. Plenty of Inspos come up for sale and they are pretty reliable.

Alex Denny likes this.
  12. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yeah just do it. It’s great honest.

Alex Denny likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

A weekend with warmth and sun. Visibility that's excellent, possibly as much as 15 metres.. A dive planned in 38 to 42 metres - various targets, TBD on the day. Out of Lymington on Sunday at 0830 on a well sorted boat.

So what could possibly go wrong... only 3 divers are booked on, so it's cancelled as it's not viable.

Grrrrrrr

14. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Come to Buckland and swim in a muddy puddle as practice for next weekend!

15. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

The JJ annoyed the fucking shit out of me.

Previously felt like I was getting the hang of it but it was all absolute fucking bollocks today.

Heavy as fuck so I need to add loads of air to my wing, trim is fucking fucking awful - proper legs down sea horse shite. Cannot get neutral - bit negative, add a little gas, still negative, add a little more, nope, little more, nope, little more - wahay! Off I go to the fucking moon. Right fucking load of toss.

Couldn’t hold a stop at 3m on my first dive - down to 4.5, back up to 3, then 2.

Second dive it was moderately better - within 500mm, but at 2m it was bollocks - back down to 2.9, up to 1.7, eventually settled but fuck me was it painful.

If it doesn’t get better I’m just going to throw the fucker off a building. I won’t even sell it, just fucking destroy the cunt.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I get the impression that boxes require a lot of work and practice to get the best out of them. Or even, as you've alluded to, to just keep them under control.

I'm still intending to move to a box as soon as I can (other constraints apply) but will make that a full year's project to get the experience and hours in.

17. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

If you get the weighting right (minimum required to submerge) they aren't too hard. At the surface the only buoyancy required is that to support bailouts. With my AL40 I use only the suit and the wing isn't used. Being overweighted on CCR is hard work and it sounds like he was carrying way too much lead.

You have to get used to the idea you have no lung control to make buoyancy adjustment and this results in a tendency to swim round rather than over/under things. The bit that requires a little more attention is the ascent. Not only is there another expanding gas space there is a solenoid adding oxygen in response to the falling ppo2. Like many things it just requires thinking about is happening and taking it slow at first.

18. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I was about to say the same thing. The JJ is only a tad negative and tail heavy when used with a thin wetsuit and no extra weight.

In a dry suit it is very easy to trim out if the weighting is correct and in the right place.

With a thick merino base layer, a BZ400 thinsulate and a Santi heated vest I’m using almost 8kg and a steel backplate. All the weight is in the tubes and a P-weight. None around my waist.

19. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

No additional weight added at all. I’ve even removed the SS BP and fitted a carbon one to lighten it up a bit.

Now contemplating lighter fins, but don’t want to lose the ‘thrust’ of my jetfins or have to swap between fin types for OC/CCR.

If I could just focus on CCR I would, but that’s not an option.

It’s particularly annoying as I’d previously felt like I was getting on well with it. Then it all went to shite yesterday!

20. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

My smb reel snagging after deployment , let go , stuck my back up. Prob my fault not paying enough attention , spent my deco time wondering if I’d see it again , however ..........