1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Tbh - most of the stuff in DL are as much about making you a better diver/club diver/buddy - there’s nothing in there particularly difficult and you’d probably find you can tick 75% off without having to make much of a special effort...

NickPicks likes this.
  2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yesterday Persiania, today the Huntsmoor both mid-Channel south of Brighton...

Amazing weather — too hot to kit up early, suncream required today.

Amazing vis, well in excess of 10 metres the sunlight dancing like curtains at deco and barely needing a torch even at 48m.

Amazing sea life, almost couldn’t see the wrecks for Bib, Wrasse and Pollack. Incredible colours with pink ‘stuff’ everywhere.

Amazing wrecks. The Persiania has such ferreting potential. Could spend the week diving on her and still have more to see.

Just amazed.

This is British diving at its very very best.

jps, NickPicks, JohnL and 3 others like this.
  4. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I’d say the vis today was a good 20m. It was astounding. Wherever I looked I could actually see a proper shipwreck - not just a few random bits of broken, twisted metal.

jps, John F, splinter and 2 others like this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Some colour from the Persiania on Saturday. Those seafans (I think that's their name) suddenly retract if touched. Beautiful. Seafans on the Persiania.jpg

So many fish getting in the way of the wreck... Oh, and this is at 48 metres, so much light!
    Fish everwhere on the Huntsmoor.jpg

jps, furryman, NickPicks and 4 others like this.
  6. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Meanwhile I did a 10m night dive yesterday on Manchones Chica in Cancun.
    Even though I've been coming out here for sixteen years, there was still new stuff to see. Reef was infested with turtles, and there were these giant yellow slugs wandering around, like Spanish Dancers, but Mexican! (No pics, I'm afraid - but here's a link - the biggest one was over a foot long! - https://rollingharbour.files.wordpr...4138517325742_6741639891320265391_n.jpg?w=652 )

jps likes this.
  7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Facebook has just told me that 9 years have passed since my first dive in the sea with my yellow box (it was yellow then). HMS Scylla dived from a 9m RIB which skimmed the top of the waves as we raced back in a brisk easterly.

As that CCR unit (with modifications) remains my first choice of diving equipment I feel I probably made a good choice :)

John F, Doomanic, JohnL and 5 others like this.
  8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

On the oxygen administration course last Sunday, I heard that ipo events often involve rebreather divers. It's all a bit of guesswork, but the thoughts are that it may be caused by over-hydration or heavy work before the dive. And there we all are, worrying about being under-hydrated. :whistling:

9. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

There’s some good presentations on line. Over hydration has been identified as a possible contributing factor , normal hydration tends to be the recommendation. Dr Peter Wilmhust (I think) sites hydrostatic imbalance as contributing factor , the position of a rebreather counter lung relative to the divers actual lungs can bring an imbalance in prrsssure of the gas breathed compared to that of where the divers lungs are at. This is also a risk on OC , the position of the first stage dictating the pressure of gas delivered maybe be different to the divers lung depth/pressure. Apparently it only takes minor discrepancies. Some light reading / viewing for you;

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/health/heart/immersion-pulmonary-edema

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Two long dives over this weekend using a bottom stage to extend bottom time.

First one on an odd 'unknown' wreck that’s twisted longitudinally so the bow's upright but the hull us inverted midships. Was at 55m, so blowing away all that helium — and proud to be the only OC diver on the boat!

Second one was the Moldavia, managing over an hour on her for my longest dive to date, 2h22. So much life on her.

Was using a bungee system to control the stages so I could be streamlined, especially when the bottom stage was emptied. That worked well albeit needing some future tweaks.

Alas the vis has dropped off from that of a couple of weeks ago, but still 7-10 metres. Top layer of water's a bit snotty.

Has completely made up my mind that I just have to move to a rebreather, not least as carrying a twinset and three Ali80 cylinders is bloody heavy and a real embuggerance, not least expensive on gas!

jps, Vanny and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  11. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Not the ideal time to be buying a CCR, thanks to Brexshit tanking the exchange rates.

Unless you want an Inspo or Redbare*, you'll be buying a European or, God forbid, a US-made rebreather.

* Nothing wrong with either of those UK-made rebreathers but I don't see you as the type of guy to buy one.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

And "real soon now" the Lungfish rebreather which is (allegedly) undergoing CE approval.

On the boat yesterday: one X-box, two Revos and 5 AP Inspirations with a variety of cases. Interestingly no JJ.

Whilst I could continue with OC, it’s just not practical for multi-day diving. For those two days I brought two twinsets and an ali80 with 21/35, plus two ali80s and two ali7s with deco gas. Total gas bill not far short of £200. Comparing with the rebreather people who used about £10 gas and £5 of lime per day. I’m knackered today just from lugging that kit around, couldn’t even push the cylinder trolley up the ramp in Brighton!

jps likes this.
  13. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Why worry about CE approval - Boris is going to cancel all of that on Halloween

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Boris, Boris, who the feck is Boris?

Oh, Alexander Johnson. He even lies about his name.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  15. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Just googled that.

de Pfeffel.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

WCMUT... I've just got a 10% discount on the Scapa ferry because I'm an old fart.

Woo hoo

NickPicks likes this.
  17. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

There have to be some advantages of getting old. :)

18. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I could do with that for my trip next year!
    Is that just from booking directly, or do you need to go through SAGA or Age Concern?

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

:)

It's on the Northlinks Ferry page; how many adults, children, or old farts.

NickPicks likes this.
  20. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Ah, "Aged 60 or over". I'm not that old.