1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've just turned 60. It's the second time I've used a concession. The first time was buying tickets on the mega slide on the Orbit (pile of scrap metal) in the Olympic Park. Wheeeeeeee. Really recommend it though!

NickPicks likes this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I’ve had a long-standing issue with my Light-for-Me heater battery. My own fault, I jumped in without connecting my torch and lightly flooded the battery (the switch controller electronics are at the bottom). The problem's been LFM have been really slow - been ongoing for 10 months now.

I’m off to Scapa in a couple of weeks and need my suit heater on account of being a softie southerner. I doubt very much that LfM will have fixed it by then.

I’ve been looking around for a replacement heater battery but the circa £1000 isn’t appealing - would much rather put that to the rebreather fund.

Then I found that DirDirect are flogging the LfM 18Ah heater batteries for 25% off. £343 is a lot better than ~£1k even though LfM's support sucks.

So I will be warm.

I just hope it’s not a fire sale!

3. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Suck it up and put another jumper on. (He says smiling from Cyprus where the water temperature is 29/30 degrees).

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I agree, temperature should be 13/14 when you go - I think that you should change your name from Wibs to Wimps :joyful: I'll be off to Malta about the same time, my complaint being that the water will be too warm for a dry suit.

NickPicks, splinter and Nick Ward like this.
  5. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

@Wibble - I'm up here until the end of November. I'll have a Deep Ideas demo Light Monkey pack that I may be able to loan you.

You might see the error in your ways in deciding to buy L4M junk in the first place - contrary to advice ;)

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  6. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I very much doubt it'll reach 14. I've only ever seen that once in 70-odd weeks of diving the Flow.

@Wibble does long run times with decompression. A week of that twice a day can be pretty brutal for an old man. A heated vest is far more preferable to wearing shitloads of layers.

Wibble likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Wish I’d asked before buying the LfM battery! Thanks for the offer:)

In all honesty I’d hate to borrow a valuable item like that and damage it. The new one's a good price and it’ll work nicely in Scapa.

8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

New toys received this week.

Attached Files:

jps, splinter and NickPicks like this.
  9. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

Went to Stoney last weekend and finally starting to get some more regular diving in now I've found a buddy who is of a similar level to myself. Dropped 2kg on the Sunday and shifted my weights around and couldn't believe the difference in trim and buoyancy. Practice, practice and more practice.

JohnL, Wibble, splinter and 2 others like this.
  10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Strangely, the more you practice the easier it gets. Glib but true.

Have you managed any sea diving this year? Been a good summer.

11. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Four years ago today I got a Tech Pass.

I don't think I've mentioned that before...

NickPicks and splinter like this.
  12. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

is that useful, like clubcard points?

Vanny, Nick Ward and JohnL like this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

How many dives since?

Off to Scapa this weekend. Think it’s the same boat you went on Dom

14. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

No idea, I stopped logging dives after AOW...

Invincible?

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Halton. So not the same :)

Just heard tomorrow’s mid-Channel dive will be relocated or cancelled. Autumn's coming... real hassle as gassed up with 21/35 and not keen on blowing it on a shallower wreck.

Can’t be long before moving off OC...

16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Enjoy scapa, should be great this time of year

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

WCMUT...

Suit heater wasn’t working. Bought a new battery (25% off!) and swapped over the summer suit inflate valve for the "Thermovalve" with the heater wire. Quick check, connect it all together with the heated vest and.... no heat. Bugger.

Out comes the multimeter to find out what’s broken... hound a highly intermittent connection between the vest and suit inflate which seemed to be the connectors. So ordered a pair of the connectors from Deep-Ideas.co.uk. Thought it best to get both sides so I know they’re fixed.

As I’m off to Scapa later this week, I went down to the local yacht chandler to see if they have any suitable connectors that I could temporarily use until I get the 'proper' connectors sorted out. Happily found a connector, not the same as Santi use but similar.

So out with the soldering iron and randomly chose the vest end first. Unsoldered the connection and started preparing the cable for the new connector. Trimmed an inch or so from the cable and went to strip the cable back and it came away in my hand. Stripped back a little more and found the tell-tale sign of a discoloured broken cable — yay, found the problem!

The cable had broken on the vest wire where it enters the Chogri connector. Reckon it had been broken for some time given the colour of the copper wire.

Pleased that it’s working and I’ll have a couple of spare connectors should the same happen again.

#2717 Wibble, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  18. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

The Thermovalve is a nice bit of kit but Santi E/O cables are a bit shit. When you replace it, do so with a proper one (like the Light Monkey ones)

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Replaced that last year (or the year before). The new one from Deep-Ideas has worked well since. The cable that broke was the one on the (Santi) vest. So that’s both (Santi) cables broken

Question: how long would one expect those vests to last? Mine's about 2 1/2 years old and is looking quite tatty, especially with the Velcro. Done circa 250 dives in it.

Hmmm... am testing it in the kitchen. Seems that sections of the back part aren’t warm.

#2719 Wibble, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  20. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

My vest is 5 years old and it's now like new. The velcro was worn out at the end of last year, so I sent it to Santi along with my heated undersuit and they refurbished both, including replacing the cable on the undersuit. Turned them around within a week and only charged me €30 - great stuff.