1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To GUE or not to GUE

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by Cybes, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I had a great dive today. 30m on a wall in the Portofino Marine Park.

It's still early in the season and we were the only boat out. This was my first dive for 4, (5?!) months so I was really looking forward to it. As it turned out there were two teams of divers with me on the boat. I thought it was a club outing but it turns out they were from various places in Italy, Switzerland etc. They all seemed to know each other so it was a very sociable day. They made a point of including me which was nice and unexpected because English is an extra for them.

They were all GUE'ists, Gooers, GUE-atistas, whatever. They were there for the same reason I was - early season wake-up dive.

These boys and girls can dance.

I was diving with the dive guide because quite frankly I need to. I'm getting better but not there yet. We met up with one of the teams during the dive and completed it together.

I was on the shoulder of the guide, holding position, finding myself drifting onto or over him. The team of three were alongside in close formation, yet not in each other's way. I have to say I was impressed with the teamwork and the control shown by each diver. They worked really well together and I liked the support they gave each other. Such a safe way to dive.

My buoyancy wasn't too bad if you ignore the company I was keeping. Trim ok. Propulsion was painful. My legs found the ankle rotation and calf muscle twist required for the frog kick very tiring. I'm still getting used to the twinset I had borrowed for the day so i was conscious of my buoyancy control, mostly because I still needed to think where the wing vent was and how best to use a piece of string that you can't feel with gloves on to open it.

Did I mention how friendly everyone was? I am sure the difference in skill levels was as obvious to them as it was to me, yet they still invited me to dine with them after the dive. No airs or graces. I have met far less skilled divers with more of an elitist attitude.

So. To GUE or not to GUE? My diving isn't near the standard required. But the training would help make it so.

2. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Its a decision only you can make. It appeals to various people, many of them have a desire to improve their diving and like the systematic, standardised way we do things including kit configuration. Some people don't like this "standard" configuration because to them it smacks of 'being told what to do'. I think if you understand the reasons for it, its self evident that this is short sighted and doesn't appreciate much of an understanding at all.

I'm still learning too, but I'm a lot better now than when I originally set out on this path... in all fairness I didn't imagine it would be a path when I started. I thought I would do fundies then move on - and many people do just that and theres nothing wrong with that. There is of course no obligation to stay!

It may be worth doing an experience day and coming along to learn more to see if it suits you.

x

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I say do it. Worst case is you become a better, safer diver. Best case is you get an introduction to a world where everyone you dive with is of a minimum, high, standard. Kit and technique standardisation sounds like a ballache but it takes one decision away and actually makes life a lot easier.

Don't think that it's all strict and no fun either. I did Scapa last year with a bunch of Gooers (myself included) and it was the best dive trip I've ever done. An absolute scream for the whole week.

I did, but alcohol played a large, yellow, part in that... :D

I did Fundies last year and would have done T1 this year if I hadn't bought a rebreather by accident.

4. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Tsk! you think you are getting away that easily? ;) :D x

5. Doomanic

Staff Member

You certainly haven't seen the last of me. I like diving with you muppets too much. :woot:

becky9 likes this.
  6. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I'm a bit of a minimalist anyway. I don't like clutter.

Having to do a full body search to find that bit I clipped off somewhere would annoy me at the best of times. I don't want to have to do that at the worst of times.

My dive kit is pretty compliant with GUE regs. I'm missing an expensive item or two here and there but I want to spend what funds I have diving rather than collecting kit. Saying that, there is a balance to be found and I am building my rig when I can. Twinset next then primary torch. Or should it be torch then twinset? Surprising how useful a torch is.

I've got a load of diving to do to get my skill levels up. Practise, practise, practise. Training is good to understand what it is you need to work on and how to improve, but I think it's time in the water where change happens.

I've just signed up for Fundies in April with Rich Walker. I won't be going for any type of pass or card. I don't expect anything other than to learn a lot.

Now all I have to do is get my knees to bend sideways so I can manage that frog kick.

Sidemount_Stu and becky9 like this.
  7. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Looks as if you have made your decision - good luck :)

If it was me, I'd have a twinset long before a primary torch.

8. Doomanic

Staff Member

And I know where there's a set of Euro 12s for sale...

9. Doomanic

Staff Member

Us Gooists like this attitude. The only thing you need to learn before Fundies is how to do nothing. Staying still is a much underrated skill.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The hardest skill IMHO. Absolutely vital for moving into the more technical areas of diving where you do a lot of hanging around doing nothing.

11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Says the rebreather diver.

12. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

What he said ^^^

And it's not even a GUE approved bereaver ;)

jb2cool likes this.
  13. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Rich is cool, and as Dom says you certainly have the best attitude there. You'll enjoy it a lot, especially with view like that! :D x

14. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Apologies to link to another forum but there's a GUE demo day at Capers on 13 March. It's a steal at £25.

Linky

TG

15. Colliwobbles

Colliwobbles Active Member

Getting a girl pregnant is an accident.....splurging dosh on a ybod isn't... and then going to buy a honking gert 2.5kg reel is really going to blow the trim....

16. Doomanic

Staff Member

It is if you're in a "coffee" shop in Amsterdam...

Do you really think that 2.5kg is going to make that much difference to me? :D

becky9 and Colliwobbles like this.