1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torch positioning (DIR/GUE v alternative)

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by rick, Jun 10, 2009.

1. rick

rick Member

Hi all,
    I'm not sure whether this is really 'technical' as such, but It does reference GUE torch positioning.
    ... feel free to shout and get me to start the thread again in equipment :)

Basically, I dive with a greenforce F2 umbilical and a small backup (in my drysuit pocket).

I used to mount the battery pack on the cyinder (when using a single 15L) using a pony clamp. This was really convenient, and I could just route the umpilical cleanly and clip it off to my shoulder d-ring.

Anyway, since moving to twins I have been using a webbing loop to mount the torch on my right hip. This is fine, however I've been thinking about putting it on the cylinder again and just wondered what the arguments for/against were?

I currently have a 1.5M long hose so that just loops under my arm and around my neck - I realise that if I switch to a 2M the torch will be used to help hold the hose in place.

So... does anybody know *why* gue/dir doesn't seem to suggest cylinder mounting the battery pack? ... entanglement?

Thanks all :)
    Rick

2. bobdob

bobdob Active Member

Not a DIR diver myself, but I do take some tips from their kit configuration.

This page has a bit about primary lights and their mounting, may answer your question.

DIR Equipment Configuration

3. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Rick,
    Its mainly due to streamlining / entaglement that they have the battery pack on the hip,
    My battery pack is to long to mount on the hip and fix mine to the side of the RH cyl but the length of the lead is slightly restricted about 200mm to short but i can still carry the torch head in my left hand.

At the end of the day its your preference unless you are going down teh GUE route then you will also have to invest in a goodmans handle as the soft strap will not allow you to perform skills and still hold the torch in place.

as for the back up light

Clip it off on the RH top D ring and use some inner tube as a loop. (I cut a length and used supaglue to fix it as a loop rather than unrigging my harness)

HTH

John

4. rick

rick Member

Thanks, bobdob... I thought I had read that :) ... must have just looked at the pictures.
    I definitely missed the bit about te light cannister being considered as dumpable weight... and I guess the agument about keeping it in the water flow already broken up by the shoulder makes sense.
    Cheers,
    Rick

5. Phil O

Phil O Member

Back in the old days of big bulky batteries they were considered as dumpable weight but now they are much lighter so personally I don't think of them in that way ... cost also prevents me from letting it go.

6. rick

rick Member

I was typing as you posted, John... thanks for the reply :)
    ... I'm not really headed off down the GUE route as such, just stealing a few kit configuration ideas :)
    I'd get kicked for having those bungies, anyway... but I love 'em ;)

Goodman handle - yes, I do want one, although tbh I'm more tempted by the soft strap... I currently just hold it in use and clip it off when not.

I was looking at that method of rigging the backup and I quite like it... just need to get myself some inner tube (desperately need some snoopy loops - I keep using bungie loops).

... btw, we must catch up for a dive sometime soon!

Cheers,
    Rick[hr]
    Hi Phil... I'm a bit behind with my typing here... I did wonder about that reason (the whole thing is only about .6Kg negative).

7. Baz

Baz Active Member

Oh no! I hold my greenforce torch on a very comfy soft strap goodmans handle in the right hand & mounted in the very handy buddy spare air mounting on my tekwing.

Woe is me i will never make it as a dir diver

Personally i think the rigid goodmans handle is way too bulky, especially when clipped off.

8. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

Dont be so sure, the lure of the dark side is strong.... :lol:

9. Air-Guzzler

Will be in touch soon mate.
    Snoopy loops / inner tube
    call in at any samm tyre place and ask they will have a few old ones knocking about and i have never been charged yet.

10. StephenT

StephenT New Member

I'd much rather drop everything else i've got than a £800+ light :p. We all know that EE and WKPP have plenty to spare if they drop theirs though, + will probably very easily be able to retrieve it. + after seeing Rich's Lead Battery, i would of made much more sense in by gone days

11. MarkB

MarkB New Member

The best way to clip of the torch is using a spare belt buckle on your right side webbing. Push the canister all the way way back, slide on the buckle lock it in place and Bobs'your aunt. its stream lined inder the tanks, no entanglement issue and clip it off to the right shoulder D ring. all neat and tidy. Any as these torches cost a small mortgage so you can quickly unclip it and stow it between dives before some one drops their twin 18's on it!

12. Air-Guzzler

Rich the best place for your bolt snap is on the end of tourch not the handle then the tourch hangs straight down

13. AvalonMatt

AvalonMatt New Member

Hmmm? Drop torch or die? Tough one. Torch on cylinder, you no dropee, ever.
    Just a good idea to keep things where you can reach them.
    I'm not too uptight on the DIR thing.....everything evolves and new ideas are NOT automatically wrong unless GUE says it's cool. But the principle of keeping everything in reach is logical.