1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waterproof D1 - how many more weights?

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by LukeTheDiver, Jan 21, 2017.

1. LukeTheDiver

LukeTheDiver New Member

Evening all!

I'm off to try on a new drysuit tomorrow - the Waterproof D1 Hybrid drysuit and I've heard good and bad things about it! I hear that its harder to sink with the D1. Has anyone got any views on this drysuit? Thanks!

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

It largely depends what you had before. There is no substitute for a proper weight check though.

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi Luke, welcome to the forum.

You don't know how much weight you'll need with a new drysuit as it depends on so many factors:
    • the material it's made of - neoprene is more buoyant than membrane, some neo's more than others
    • the undersuit affects it massively
    • the way a drysuit fits you; if it's tigher in some areas -- particularly if using a drysuit over a long absence and one's been at the pies
    • how you use the drysuit: how much gas you fill it with
    • how cold you are -- when cold, you may put more gas in the drysuit for warmth
    • etc...
    Make sure it fits. Not too tight, not too loose. Make sure you can reach behind your head (valves) -- even if you're not diving twins. Make sure you can stretch up a-la Superman. Make sure you can crouch down without the neck seal garrotting you.

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Just seen the price of it......how much!!

I'd buy something else and save money

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome Luke

Looking at a review on the web, knocked over by the high-tec features, hence the price, it appears that you will always have air in the suit because of the special lining. This reduces the risk of a squeeze and reduces the undergarments needed. In cold water, when you would be wearing a thick undersuit, I would guess that the thinner suit needed plus lining would amount to much the same trapped air, so little difference. In warm water, with minimal clothing underneath, I assume that you would need more weight than other suits as you've got air, the equivalent of a medium undersuit, held in place by the lining.

Guesswork of course, do let us know how you get on. It may be expensive but it's peanuts compared to a rebreather, the usual recommendation for any problem given on this forum.:whistling:

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  6. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Unless it's a steal, avoid x

7. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

the reason why luke asks is because the D1 has a '3D mesh lining' designed to insulate but affects its buoyancy characteristics heavily x

8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

A mate had one but was looking to sell it after a handful of dives. Didn't get on with the bulk/lining at all.

He only bought it because it seemed fancy and was a bit pricey.

I need a new suit and am probably going to get an Otter.

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  9. Dale Martin

Dale Martin New Member

One of the instructors at my club has one and never dives with the mesh insert as he finds it restrictive and uncomfortable. The boots have also cracked on the sole and, looking at other peoples comments about waterproof drysuits, this looks to be a fairly common problem. That said, he likes the suit alot... I went for an o'three though.

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  10. LukeTheDiver

LukeTheDiver New Member

Thanks for the replies! I'm still looking around and trying new suits on to see what I'm happy with.

The D1 was comfortable to try, but as everyone has said, pricey!

What Drysuits would you all recommend ultimately for warmth?!

11. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I'm generally warm enough, down to around 5-6ish in my O3 MSF 500 with a PBB+ base layer and set of thin motorbike under garments.

If colder or on a longer dive I'd want something toastier, probably a heated vest if a regular occurrence.

Next suit will be thinner and colder, so the vest and/or bulkier undies will be needed.

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  12. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Pretty much any membrane suit with a Santi BZ 400X undersuit. Drygloves help and if you really feel the cold or are doing long runtimes then they also do a heated version of this undersuit.

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  13. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Warmth = neoprene = o'Three

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  14. LukeTheDiver

LukeTheDiver New Member

Thought I'd give you all an update. Got the D1 Drysuit and the first two dives were challenging getting used to the Buoyancy. I dive with 9kg usually on a hired Drysuit but this took 11kg to get me down. I'm confident on my next dives I'll be able to cut that to 10kg.

The suit itself is very, very warm! I was diving in 6•C, 6 dives over the weekend and I didn't feel the cold.

I added air to take off the squeeze, then used my bcd for the rest as I felt that the air didn't escape as quickly as I would have liked from the auto dump.

It's a great suit and I'm very happy with the purchase! I would recommend it, but just be patient for the first dive or two whilst you adjust to the 3D mesh lining. :)

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  15. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Glad you like it. What does it feel like for movement/flexibility?

LukeTheDiver likes this.
  16. LukeTheDiver

LukeTheDiver New Member

Yeah, great. It's trilaminate, but even still plenty of movement. I hear a lot of people go for the D9X for the telescopic flexibility, but the D1 is perfect for me. A real good, all round Drysuit.

17. AndyW

AndyW New Member

Bloody hell! £2150 off the peg?!

What was it that convinced you to go for this? Your original query was met with pretty dull reviews... Seems like a lot of money for a suit that, in general, isn't too highly rated.

For comparison, I've recently paid £1600 for a MTM Otter Britannic Mk2. MTM / telescopic / fitted kubis / sitech neck system. Is an E-lite much more than the D1?

How's the support with Waterproof in the UK?

18. LukeTheDiver

LukeTheDiver New Member

£1935!

I tried a few on and the D1 was my favourite for comfort and durability. It just fitted me perfectly. Likewise, it's not cheap. But. I'm hoping to get at least a few years out of it!

It is very warm. Compared to wearing an under suit with other dry suits, I still felt the cold. With this I just wore a thin base layer and I was warm! No complaints. I'm very pleased with the purchase :)