1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight distribution in sidemount

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by korsakof, May 15, 2019.

1. korsakof

korsakof Member

Hi,

I´m setting up my sidemount weight and i use 13Kg(around 28lbs) and 2 s80 alu tanks. I place 3-4Kg(6-9lbs) in the wing(tecline avenger 16). The rest of the weight in the normal weight belt. I would like to know how do you configure it and there is a better way to distribute. Wing has weight pockets integrated,as shown in the image, that can holds 3Kg(6lbs). Also tecline gives you an extra weight pockets to put in the harness belt that i´m not using.

Picture of the wing

[​IMG]

Picture of the weight pockets that i´m not using

[​IMG]

I have another doubt, it comes with sliding D-Ring(picture under) to fix the tanks but sometimes have moved during the dives. I don´t know if use an "harness stop" or just use a normal D-Ring with an stop. Any advice?

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance!

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ah ha, welcome to the "faff" (as in endlessly playing around tweaking and fiddling) of sidemount.

Firstly, have you done much with sidemount before?

I did a 'course' in Spain on holiday in the south. Was fun but only had ~three hours of training. As it was in warm, clear water, it was really easy to use; the instructor pretty much set up my kit so I didn't really learn the reasoning behind all the tweaks. Anyway, was really easy...

Then I came home, bought an XDeep Stealth Tec and discovered pain. Lots of pain. Feck moi, was it a bloody pain in the backside. Nothing worked, I looked like a sack of potatoes in the water and felt even worse.

So I stripped the kit back and tried again. I love a challenge! I configured a couple of ali cylinders to make them lighter in the water, wearing more weight to sink. I slowly got used to that over a couple of sessions, then moved over to a pair of steel 8.5s. Slowly things got better. Lots of tweaking of the bungees, lots of tweaking to the positions of the D-rings, changes to how it was assembled, changed over to "Billy Rings" (D-rings that stick out)...

Eventually it got far more comfortable. Then tried diving in the sea. Arrrggghhhh, back to the beginning again as I was underweighted and used a crazy-heavy reel and crack-bottle SMB, so had to deco using the reel as additional weight!

I think it took at least 10 days of sessions to get comfortable with the kit.

I now use 12 litre steel cylinders; 8kg of weight in the spine (for the sea) plus 3kg on a weight belt (I want more weight as the water's cold and I like having gas in my drysuit, and need to ensure I can do my deco at the end). When it's warmer I'll ditch the weight belt.

In a cave/mine I use 7kg on the spine and it seems OK with both the 8.5 steels and 12 steels.

As far as the waist D rings are positioned; I now use two Billy Rings further back, near my backside, which works well for the steel cylinders. I have two normal D-rings further forward which allows me to move the cylinders from behind to front, and then I can get access to my pockets (e.g. spare mask).

I do use a large butt-bag for SMBs and the like -- on backmount I'd use my pockets, but you loose these on Sidemount.

I'm sure it would have been a lot easier if I worked with someone, but I quite liked playing around solo in a lake so I could experiment.

I'm very happy with sidemount now, but still dislike using it in the sea simply because of the lack of pockets.

I love the trim and ease of diving from sidemount.

3. korsakof

korsakof Member

I have dived several time with this distribution. I did my course 2 years ago and i completed to buy my equipment this year.I´m still trying as you see.
    I did my course in summer but in north of spain, colder waters than in the south(18-20º Celsius in summer) and neoprene 5mm. I dived even with 7Kg during the course, normally 9-10kg if i remember well. I used divesystem sidemount wing. We were doing a week the course with my instructor(his meain configuration is sidemount also).

Now its the spring the water is 14-16º Celsius, drysuit and sidemount. We don´t have to go to the swimming pool, is restricted and there is no lake near here for going and practise.
    Also solo diving is forbidden in Spain. :S

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For me, using steel cylinders makes a lot of sense to counteract the additional buoyancy of a 'full' drysuit.

The main thing I learned is that sidemount needs lots of time to configure and adjust.

In the UK, due to the weather and the sea being 'unreliable', we have many inland lakes and quarries to dive in. A lot of these allow solo diving, normally requiring a solo qualification (SDI Solo Diver). Many dive boats -- most? -- allow "independent" diving and solo diving, relying on the diver to be honest about their experience. The penalty for not being honest about one's skills is death, alas this has happened (on a boat I was on).

To be honest, UK diving conditions frequently mean that most dives require a self-reliant approach to diving, even if diving with a team.

I think that as diving is very popular in Spain, especially in the south, there's a lot more regulations to prevent novices from killing themselves and harming the tourist industry. Diving in the Mediterranean is so much easier than Atlantic diving!

5. korsakof

korsakof Member

I also dive in the "Atlantic", Cantabrian sea. I know a little bit how do you dive in England or an approach.xD.It´s like as you tell. Diving in Mediterranean sea(We say is like a soup) is confortable and easy diving like in Canary Island but not here.We have no lakes around here for practising. :S