1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Jonwainwright, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Jonwainwright

Jonwainwright New Member

I have recently started learning to drive after joining a local BSAC club. I have almost completed the theory and the pool dives and I'm getting ready for the open water stuff my question in what do I need to buy equipment wise I have fins, mask, snorkel and the club has a bcd and tank I can use. I'm guessing I can rent a dry suit for now, do I just need a good and gloves and I'm guessing at least 5mm for the uk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi Jon, welcome to the forum.

If the club have the kit, use it! The main thing is to get experience underwater. Developing your GAS* can wait - there'll be plenty of opportunity later!

Drysuits are definitely the right tool for the job. Rent if you can and buy later when you know what you want/need.

*Gear Aquisition Syndrome.

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jon - you seem to have found an active local BSAC club, congratulations. Ask lots of questions, most of the guys here have a lot of experience and others (like me) are more limited but can sometimes help with a beginner issue, or at least sympathise as we hit the same issue. Time underwater is a great teacher.

4. Brummyjon

Brummyjon New Member

You may well have found that more established members have replaced some of their early kit, and will let the old gear go for a song. Our club in Stratford upon Avon have auctions periodically. I got a dry suit for £50, fins for £5, gloves AND hood for £5... You get the idea. That way, if it's not exactly what you want, no big deal. You might have already discovered this for yourself (I see the post is quite old now) but perhaps this will help future readers.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Wot I lurned... Pretty much everything I bought in my early days has been replaced.

Hmm. Trying to think of *anything* I've kept from my OW days...

I think a set of ScubaPro Mk25 regulators, but these are only spares and will probably be recycled as stage regs.

Nothing else; not a single thing, not even a bolt snap. So there we have it; diving's expensive because you replace all the kit later.

Moral; buy cheap second-hand gear then buy the decent stuff later when you know what you need.

Brummyjon likes this.
  6. nickb

nickb Active Member

And yet you still don't have the correct gear ;)

Wibble likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

How do you know that - you're a psychotic or something?

Currently working on getting budgetary approval for the missing piece... The expensive, shiny, black, missing piece... Then the courses, but they can be covered by the revenue budget.

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=" I just need a good and gloves and I'm guessing at least 5mm for the uk?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    I was recommended some zip-up 5mm gloves that are great - they are tight over my dry suit cuffs, meaning no leakage there and, being tight, my hands hardly get wet. If you haven't bought yet, I'll find the make when I get home.

9. leehebrides

leehebrides New Member

A Good pair gloves, to have nice warm hands always makes a dive pleasurable, 5mm are ok, but a good pair of 3mm allow a lot more dexterity and even up here on the west coast of Scotland are ok for all but a coup,e of months of the year.

Other gear, I been diving for 40 years and the only things I buy new are Regs and cylinders, everything else can be picked up at a fraction of the price second hand. It makes diving so much more pleasurable when your not scrimping and saving for the next Gucci bit of kit. More money for getting into the sea.

10. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Whatever you buy, buy it in black...

11. snowman

snowman Active Member

3mm vs 5mm gloves is a bit of a personal thing.

I prefer 3mm as they're easier to manipulate things in, but they seem to wear out at an alarming rate (I was diving in my pair with 3 missing finger tips in Plymouth recently!) - 5mm are better for this, but suit me even in November/December UK diving.

That said, some softies where dry gloves on shallowish dives all your round, so it's really just a case of you personally cold threshold! :)

Same goes for wet/drysuits (although I don't think ANYONE really feels comfortable in a wetsuit in the UK AFTER a diver, no matter what they say! :D) and undersuits.

M

12. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Black stuff overrated and excessively hyped by the fanboys and yet inferior to the stuff sold in yellow boxes although that is best rehoused in something less buoyant. A realistic second hand price for the superior unit is £3k.

hawk likes this.
  13. snowman

snowman Active Member

Also available in English!

That said, some softies WEAR dry gloves on shallowish dives all YEAR round...

M