1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where should we go???

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Pembrokeshire Falconry, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Pembrokeshire Falconry

New to the forum, so Hi!

My wife and I are planning to go on holiday in March and are looking for the best diving we can find at that time of year...

we are both Advanced certified and have been lucky enough to tick off a few big dives from our list; Sipadan, Galapagos, Great Barrier Reef, Yongala, Thistlegorm and a few others around Asia, Malaysia.

Where should we be looking to go next? (warm diving suggestions only please, we want a holiday sat on a beach between dives! lol)

2. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

Hi yourself and welcome to the forum. Looks like you are prepared to travel and that being the case, you have quite a choice.
    • Maldives are an excellent choice in March. I would suggest one of the many liveaboard boats. Shop around; with only 2 months to go, you might get a bargain offer where there are a few places left.
    • On the Indo-Pacific side, Phuket and surrounding sites are still good in March. Most airlines now offer 30Kg per passenger luggage allowance for economy.
    • Anilao and/or Dumaguete in the Philippines are very good in March. If you are going in late-March or early April, you can combine one of those destinations with a Tubbataha liveaboard. The latter usually get full early but if there are a couple of places, they could be at a bargain rate. Check with Stella Maris Explorer of Expedition Fleet.
    • On the Caribbean side, best choices are Turks & Caicos, Cayman Islands (particularly Little Cayman), Cozumel and Bonaire. In March-April Utila is known for whale shark sightings.

PeterT likes this.
  3. Pembrokeshire Falconry

Thanks. will take a look at those. We have looked into some of those destinations already...
    Travel distance isnt a problem, but we have to try and keep the price down... so the maldives is probably going to be out of reach. which is a shame, as it looks fantastic! Caribean islands is a similar problem. Philippines and Phuket are areas we have been exploring and more affordable.

Forgot to mention that liveaboard diving is something we avoid unless its essential for the dive sites, as my wife gets sea sick. Reef she was only sat upright long enough to eat, or kit up and jump off the boat!

Keep the ideas coming. Where are everyones favorites ?

4. Pembrokeshire Falconry

Phuket is looking like a winner for price! Any specific dive sites/dive companies we should go to in that area?

5. Steppenwolf

If you prefer remaining land based, the trip should be long enough to justify flying out there. In March, a combination of Anilao & Dumaguete would be my suggestion.

6. Pembrokeshire Falconry

We have two weeks. probably looking at 10 or 14 dives, so only half the holiday will be diving. Anilao to Dumaguete means spending a day of our holiday travelling, which would be best avoided if possible. this is one of the reasons we are unsure about the Philippines as travel to get to various islands would almost be essential to get the best out of being there.

7. Steppenwolf

The people I used in Phuket are http://www.sea-bees.com/. They have been there for years, have very good local knowledge and are very well organised. Unless you have a bias about using a German owned company, I would contact them.

8. Pembrokeshire Falconry

thanks. Will check them out. Thanks for all your help. I think we are getting close to picking a holiday!

9. Scunnered

Scunnered Active Member

I'd recommend Bali - was there in September and diving was excellent. Going back in about 3 weeks for some more of the same hopefully. I dived with http://www.adventurediversbali.com/ in Amed

10. Pembrokeshire Falconry

Bali is very nice. we dived there 2013. we were in Nusa Lembongan. didnt see a single sun fish or manta though! bit gutted!

11. Richard65

Richard65 Active Member

I live in Grand Cayman and I do accept that it is relatively expensive here but if you are canny you dont have to be faced with the high boat dive costs every day, I regularly (5 or 6 times a week if I can get away with it) dive four or five shore dives all of which give you the option of kicking out to the mini wall (60ft) or slightly further to the main wall (30,000ft).

If you stay somewhere like Sunshine Suites (its a 50 yard walk to the main Seven Mile Beach) and hire a car it should keep costs down.

If you want any further information let me know.