1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 - who’s doing what?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Really hoping we’ll get a full season this year even though it’s likely to be UK only.

Have booked 10 days of boat diving in April. Need to try and remember how to dive. Loads of practice ahead continuing the CCR odyssey into MOD2 territory.

Want some trips to Scapa and other northern locations. Rather challenging not knowing how things will open up.

What have you all got planned for this year?

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

So far I've only got a trip to Oban and a trip to the Farnes booked. I'd like to do MOD1 as soon as possible, then trips out of Scarborough on the club boat and weekends in Scotland as often as possible.

I'd like a trip to Scapa as soon as I'm comfortable on CCR too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oban and Farnes, love diving there. Will jump at a chance of diving either this year.

Omitted to mention my Christmas present - a DPV to enhance diving on and around wrecks. Will be great to get an overview of a wreck and get a feeling of her size and structure.

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Why wait? Scapa is an excellent place to consolidate mod1 skills.
    I went to Scapa 2 weeks after my mod1 it was really helpful.
    I would strongly recommend trimix diluent though as air beyond 30m is not a good idea on CCR.

splinter and nickb like this.
  5. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

My already-postponed Croatia trip has been postponed again. No idea what's gonna happen with my postponed Truk trip, but I suspect that will be put-off again.

I'm due to head-up to crew on Huskyan in Scapa just as soon as diving resumes up there again.

Wibble likes this.
  6. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Scapa in October is my only firm plan this year so far. See you there Nick if your still aboard.

nickb likes this.
  7. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Channel Islands in August we hope. Quite a few trips pushed to 2022

8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Like 2019 and 2020 I’m hoping to get a few dives in but now I’ve managed to get a bereaver on loan.

splinter likes this.
  9. splinter

splinter Active Member

It'll be my first time in Scapa and I'd like to be focused on enjoying the dives rather than figuring out what the hell I'm doing. Saying that I've no idea how I'll take to the ccr so if I'm comfortable quickly I'll be there as soon as I can.

Mod1 with trimix dil is the plan.

10. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

I've got a September trip to Kinlochbervie (North West tip of Scotland) booked and a long weekend diving wrecks from Swanage in August.

I should also have a Practical Instructor Exam to do in May and some random days/weekends as yet unplanned.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are you taking your own RIB for that trip or is there a dive boat there?

12. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

We're diving with the unusually named "North East Diving" based out of Kinlochbervie in the North West of Scotland. They have a boat and shore based accommodation.
    There's an article about them in this month's Scuba magazine.
    It would be a really long way to drag a RIB.

Wibble likes this.
  13. Plumose

Plumose New Member

There was an article about them in a recent dive magazine (think it was the most recent BSAC one).

14. Plumose

Plumose New Member

Looking like I should be doing MOD1 first week of April, hoping that a week in Shetland in June will go ahead, a week of wreck diving in Plymouth in August and various other dives with my club and random other friends.
    But who knows what will happen more than a few days ahead at the moment.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Where's your MOD1 and what box do you have? If it does happen, get as much diving in as possible prior to Shetland.

16. Plumose

Plumose New Member

It is going to be sunny Stoney Cove (think the last time I was there was 2001) and I have a 2nd hand AP Vision 2020 (has had the head serviced by AP and the unit serviced by the instructor since I got last year).

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Lovely stuff :)

The move to a box is such fun and challenging at first. It's the ascents that are the worst! Once over that hump (the "OMG, what have I done") then diving's so much nicer.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Now booked on some 20 days diving in April and 1st half of May!

Contemplating sneaking in some Scottish trips too.

Plumose likes this.
  19. snowman

snowman Active Member

I've only done a try dive at Vobster with a CCR, but I don't think it'll take a lot of getting used to.

For me, the hardest thing was breathing hard enough to work the circuit, but for most of the 30 minute dive (once over the initial "Oh sh*t, it's not giving me any air" moment!) I was able to do it, so I imagine with a bit of practice it won't be hard to dive with.

Buoyancy didn't really seem to be much of a problem at all, much to my surprise.

I realise there's more to CCR diving than jumping in and breathing non-stop, but I don't think you'll find the experience of diving with one would be that difficult.

On topic, we've got a few weekend's in the UK booked on charter boats and we'll be using the RHIB as much as we practically can, as a club.

I've got flights to Cyprus booked for early May, but obviously that won't happen - I may go later in the year, depending on how things pan out.

M

splinter and Wibble like this.