1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flying with BA

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Samsee23, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Samsee23

Samsee23 New Member

Hi all.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Has anyone flown BA recently out of the UK. If so can you let me know what the allowances are for scuba equipment? I've looked on the website and spoken to an operator and neither seem to be able to give me a straight answer.

Any help would be appreciated

2. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

There are no allowances for scuba gear with BA. It all forms part of your baggage allowance.
    Checked bags are 23kg unless you have exec club status, when it goes up to 32kg per bag. Number of checked bags depends on class of travel and route.
    Hand baggage is one small bag with no weight limit to go under the seat I. Front of you( unless in First or Club World) ... PLUS one further cabin bag the size of a 22inch roller bag which may weigh up to 23kg, but you have to be able to put it in the luggage rack yourself.

3. Samsee23

Samsee23 New Member

Ok. Thanks. Have you tried getting regs in as hand luggage and if so do you get any issues with security?

4. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Personally not for a couple of years.
    Had no issues out of gatwick Sharm Hurghadaor Cancun. All depends whether the X-ray operator has ever seen a reg set, though. I tend to put regs in checked bag and hand carry stuff like computer

5. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Friend of mine was stopped by a jobsworth in Hurghada Airport at the entrance to the gates (after the normal security scanner) and was told that his regs (fortunately in a reg bag) had to go into the hold, although two others in the same party weren't checked and kept theirs. On returning home, he emailed both airline and airport, both of whom replied that it was a load of bollocks and that he was entitled to carry the regs in his hand luggage.

I am currently in Cyprus (and yes it's lovely) and on my way out, my regs were in my hand luggage. When it went through the scanner, I was politely asked "Is that diving equipment Sir? " On giving an affirmative response, it was "No problem, carry on "

My regs travel either in hand or hold luggage and to date, I have not had any problems.

6. Samsee23

Samsee23 New Member

Thanks guys. I'll have a think about how I'm going to travel with my kit

7. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I almost always put Computer and Regs in hand luggage, never once had a problem, never even been asked about them. Perhaps i've just been lucky, but my experience has always been no problems.

8. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

Do many people just remove the 2nd stage for hand luggage and pack hoses and 1st stage in hold?

9. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

Why do people feel concerned about putting regs in hold baggage? Is it the weight of them, or the possibility of them going missing? It can't be concerns about damaging them can it? They should be rugged enough to be handled by baggage throwers.

10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I put regs and computer in hand luggage. Only once did they pull my bag and swab test it. Mainly I think because it had loads of electronic stuff and regs etc so looked odd on xray. It stabbed fine and only took a min.
    People have taken their back plates but I can see that causing an issue due to scanning.

11. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

For me, it's partly concerns about how numpties handle baggage and the implications for potential damage (probably unfounded) and partly due to replacement cost if the bag goes missing - they're reasonably high value and insurance claims are a hassle and financially disappoining.

For those reasons, camera, housing, strobe, tray/arms and computer go in my carry on, regs in the (non-diving) wife's. That's over £2k's worth of kit that now can't go missing.

Only had one incident involving a discussion with the security guy - managed to keep them in the carry on baggage though, so all good. Had them examined and swabbed a couple of times, but I've no issues with that.

12. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I just feel that having seen the way Baggage handlers throw stuff about, why take the risk? It may be overkill, but I like knowing the fact that the items that are responsible for delivering my life saving gas, haven't been mis-treated. If they've been thrown around and potentially trodden on or had heavy things chucked on them, there is a (small) potential that something could move and get damaged.... keeping it in my hand luggage mitigates this risk and gives me peace of mind. As an added bonus, it saves valuable weight allowance in the hold luggage too, although usually this is a secondary consideration for me.

I agree, it's probably over kill, but "knowing" rather than "hoping" it's ok, is worth it to me.

NickPicks likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Depends what you value most. I've (normally) got my MacBook, iPad, assorted chargers, camera, headphones and a bunch of other shiny kit in my hand luggage and nearly always come close to the 10kg limit that the cheapo airlines restrict you to. Sure, if your regs went missing it would be a right pain, but you could at least rent some. I couldn't replace the lappie as I wouldn't have the backups to hand!

14. bigbird

bigbird Active Member

im a security officer at my local airport and regs are not a problem to carry in hand luggage.they are allowed.

Zubar likes this.
  15. Samsee23

Samsee23 New Member

Do security give hassle over them though? Ie asking to search the bag?

16. Sandro

Sandro Member

I am off to the US on Saturday morning from Heathrow, I have asked American Airlines and they said to check with TSA....I have emailed TSA today and currently waiting for a reply :)

However I do not see the reason why you should not be able to carry them, it is plastic and metal which are both allowed, nothing sharp or pressurized nor explosive...

I will update you on Saturday in realtime (AA has WiFi on their flights :D :D :D )

17. bigbird

bigbird Active Member

if the xray operator cant see its regs then yes they will search the bag

18. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

That's fair enough. I have no issue with security questioning anything they can't see clearly.

bigbird likes this.
  19. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

I'm off to Texas next weekend and everything is going into my (second) suitcase.

Work is paying for me to travel bsuiness first so I have 2 bags as carry on and then 2 x 32kg hold bags. I'm even taking torches and reels becasue I can :)

Zubar likes this.
  20. bigbird

bigbird Active Member

dont carry a big knife in the hold luggage as some over zealous officer might confiscate it