1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie from Harlow

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Gasman, Nov 29, 2020.

1. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

Hi Gasman

I'm just starting out to, althought I've done my PADI AOW and 16/18 dives, but looking to dive in and around the UK now so need to build my kit.

I posted a recently about regs here: https://www.ukdivers.com/threads/first-set-of-regs.15774/ which you may find useful.

I ordered from 4th Element last week and they arrived Monday. All shiney a new just waiting to be used..... :D

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I've sent you a private message , John

LJDiver likes this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman New Member

Yes I did read your mssg on regs. Which did you go for ?
    I just bought Apeks fins and mask from 4th Element , arrived in a couple of days. Apeks do make decent quality. I understand they are the Tech side of Aqualung.

4. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

I went with the DS4 with ATX40's. Single guage console and bag, less than £300 assembled Can't wait to use them.

Im a bit stuck for fins and mask for fitting... same with drysuits etc... cant try anything on these days! So dont know what size boots I'll end up with, so don't know what size fins to get etc... Bit of catch 22.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gasman likes this.
  5. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

I think my local dive store had a sign saying you can try masks on under supervision, so that they can then disinfect any that you've touched before putting them back on display.

6. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

Yeh my local dive shop would allow it, but said they have to disinfect and leave off display for something like 72 hours etc, which made me feel bad trying any on as how do I know which would be a good fit or not until I try them on...?

7. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Equally they won’t sell any unless you can try so I’d just go for it. Maybe narrow down the type if you can. So twin lense - good if you need prescription lenses or single lense ? Colour ? Clear skirt or black - a lot of people start with clear , perceived brighter , better visabilty but actually over time move to a black skirt as it tends to concentrate your view and no blurry distractions. Ultimately fit is everything and that you can pinch your nose with gloves on.

LJDiver likes this.
  8. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

Yep. If they want to sell them, they need to let people try them. I agree with Vanny's points. The most important thing is fit (and take your own snorkel/reg mouthpiece to put in whilst trying them). Most people I know use a black mask (I find the clear one gives lots more reflection inside - particularly in murky water). Don't go for tinted or reflective lenses - I like to see my buddy's eyes (to tell if they're happy/worried/panicking)

I think they've got mixed up with the 72 hour thing - that was "the virus dies on its own after 72hrs". If they've disinfected then they can go back on display pretty much straight away (otherwise disinfecting door handles etc would be pointless)

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Masks are probably the most personal item of dive kit. Their fit varies widely and it's down to testing on your face.

Turn the strap around so it's in front of the mask, place it on your face, slightly inhale and it should stick and stay on your face with the (slight) vacuum. If it falls off it doesn't fit.

Personally I prefer black skirted masks as there's less reflections. But that's a personal thing. Similarly I prefer a single lens as it's less claustrophobic. My two masks (one on and the spare in my pocket) are both Atomic Frameless masks.

10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree fit is the most important thing.

When I went into my very first LDS I found the best fit was the Beaver Atomic Frameless and bought the clear version. Black/clear never bothered me and I still use them, although they can get visibly manky and after a while and need the dishwasher treatment. The downside is that you can't get replacement lenses so failing eyes must rely on the inserts (which work well and last a long time).

LJDiver likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Blimey, two different masks with the same name!

12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

90 quid? For a mask? Blimey, I'm a bit of touch with kit prices these days!

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

6 years, 500 dives. Fits and works.

14. Doomanic

Staff Member

My Hollis M1s were 20 quid each.

15. Gasman

Gasman New Member

I havnt made my 1st dive yet ! That will happen next weekend on OW padi in a pool. Though I have bought a mask without trying ? I have an Apeks VX1 . Out the box it sits on my face with the slightest inhale and is so comfy to wear. I will move my thoughts on this to another part of the forum. Looking forward to the pool, bit like a child looking out for Xmas.

LJDiver, Wibble and splinter like this.
  16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hopefully you'll still feel like that after the pool work.

I still fondly remember a try dive I did 33 years ago (honeymoon) in Malta. Amazing experience. Just wished I'd continued. Wasn't until our 25th wedding anniversary (after a row!) that I got completely hooked on diving.

Gasman likes this.
  17. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

Some good points there. Never thought about your buddy being able to see your eyes with a reflective mask. Was thinking a black skirt would be best to reduce reflections. I'll double check the 72 hour thing and mention that to them.

18. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

Which tier are you in?

19. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

Looks like a good mask, you happy with it?

20. Doomanic

Staff Member