1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen Dive Equipment – Birmingham

Discussion in 'Personal Ads' started by timmyg, Sep 28, 2015.

1. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Some of you may know that I was the unfortunate victim of a theft from my vehicle late Friday evening. The total list of items is quite long, however the main items are as follows:

· O’Three RI2-100 drysuit in black/grey. This suit is fitted with an extra leg pocket, advanced p-valve on the left leg and a KUBI fitted dryglove system complete with white gloves. The suit is obvious if seen as it has only recently had a new zip and gloves fitted, which resulted in the grey portion of the suit being reduced from the upper half to just the chest area. Fourth Element Artic and Kwark thermals.
    · Apeks DS4 (ser 505 1448), ATX 40 black (with 50 conversion) (ser 602 5857), ATX 40 black (506 2243) and DIR Zone SPG.
    · Halcyon backplate, harness and Eclipse wing. Weighted single tank adaptor. The backplate has bungee loops on the bottom for a lift bag and a fixed left D ring.
    · 2x Halcyon Scout torches
    · 15l cylinder with TPG Divesign stickers.
    · AP Diving lift bag with TPG Divesign stickers.
    · Hollis F1 fins size XL.
    · Hollis M1 mask.
    · Halcyon 6’ slim DSMB with TPG Divesign stickers plus spool.
    · Halcyon 1m DSMB with TPG Divesign stickers plus spool.
    · Halcyon 21W HID primary light with explorer head, E/O, Tekna knife and TPG Divesign stickers.
    · Shearwater Petrel. Serial unknown but it has my name and mobile number on the startup screen.
    · Toolbox with spare regs, spanners, decanting whip, adaptors, bungee, tools etc…
    · Blue Overboard bag with VHF radio, portable echo sounder, GPS, spare drygloves etc…
    · Everything above, and smaller items not listed all have my initials TPG marked on with a white paint marker.

The total value is the best part of 5 figures, which I don’t expect to see and the insurance payout (if any is not looking good). Surprisingly, p-clips, stickers and tools all add up. I will update as things progress, but please check the wordings in your contents policy regarding the amount vehicle contents are insured for, and whether the vehicle has to be damaged as it appears that the remote may have been cloned.

I’m not sure if I was targeted for my dive kit, or if it was random as my Oakley’s and hands free were left behind, as was a cylinder and weightbelt.

TG

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear this Tim.

timmyg likes this.
  3. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Shit! I'm so sorry Tim, I hope the bastards get what's coming to them x

timmyg likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That's horrible. Commiserations:(

timmyg likes this.
  5. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Found on Gumtree. The buyer paid £750 for the lot. Arranging collection and details to the Police.

Thank you to all of you that have commented, posted, shared the link etc... I love you all. This is why I love the UK diving community.

Tim

bigbird, becky9, Doomanic and 2 others like this.
  6. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Hope it works out Timmy, I'd be on tenterhooks!

timmyg likes this.
  7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

8. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Finally re-United with most of my stolen kit. There's a few tools missing along with wetnotes & clips etc.. Plus a few other items stolen from the car. Probably totalling £200. I also need to service my regulators as there's a couple of leaks now. All in including fuel & the money to get it all back I'm probably £1500 out of pocket. I'm hoping to get that back from my insurance.

No news yet from the police other than the mobile phone is not registered.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Good news you've been re-united with the kit.

Shite that it happened in the first place, an utter pain to deal with the insurance company, and the police aren't exactly covering themselves in glory in finding the scrote who's probably responsible for a mini crime wave.

10. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

good luck with the insurance ....

unless they authorised your expenditure up front, even through you have arguably saved them a small fortune, my money is on them attempting to refuse payment for 'consequential loss' and to only compensate you for what was stolen and not recovered.

11. Sandro

Sandro Member

If you pay for an insurance specifically for Diving they must pay if your stuff was closed in the back of your car...anyway!

Good your investigation brought your stuff back (nowadays self justice is common in EU)

12. bigbird

bigbird Active Member

good to hear you got most of it back, you have to wonder... surely the buyer should of been suspicious of ALL that kit for a mere £750? maybe he/she needs looked into as well..

13. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I was coaching the guy that ended up buying the gear last weekend. He seemed baffled by the whole experience.

14. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't want to say mate. I was tempted to let you know, but thought best to see if he wanted it to come out.

Fair dues though, he contacted me immediately once he knew it was stolen, and yesterday the insurance cheque arrived for the missing kit plus the £750 I paid him to get it all back.

Wibble likes this.
  15. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

Glad it all worked out. He seems like a nice guy tbh, so not surprised he contacted you straight away. Didn't stop me taking the piss out of him all weekend looking for "TG" on all his gear :D

16. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

TPG....

He did seem like a genuine guy. I wish him well with his (resurrected) diving career.

17. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

I think I may have created a monster...

18. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Another one? Lol

becky9 likes this.
  19. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Fucking hell! not another one! x

20. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

Yeah, even I was a bit freaked out by how he went from "I'm about to give up diving" at the beginning of the weekend to a fully paid up passionate diver desperate to get out as much as possible. Very rewarding for me.