1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to Twinset

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by reefer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. John F

John F Active Member

I had a 12L Ali cylinder that was being stored full in my shed, it went out of test and when I sent it for test, it failed due to a very big crack about 70mm long and by the look of it about half way through the cylinder, running from the thread down.
    It must of been right on the verge of letting go, would not of don’t much for the health of my shed.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Blimey! Wonder what caused that

3. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

I don't trust ali cylinders like steel ones. Good you still have a shed :thumb:

4. reefer

reefer Active Member

I believe Apeks are now using Faber as their twinset cylinder manufacturer instead of Vitkovice ?

From what I read, these new Faber cylinders are the same length as the traditional Euro 12's, but are slightly heavier at 14.6kg. I also read that the neck isn't quite as thick on these new cylinders vs the traditional Fabers, so perhaps they might be a good choice...

I've only seen the round bottom cylinders lists - no idea whether a concave version will get released.

5. Jimnibimnibob

Jimnibimnibob New Member

I am fairly sure the DS4's done allow a 5th port adaptor for routing your hoses out of the bottom of the 1st stage

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The 5th port option is only on the DST (dry sealed turret) not the DS4 (dry sealed four port)

NickPicks likes this.
  7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Correct the DS4’s don’t allow you to use a 5th port to run the hose out of the bottom but you don’t need this, DS4’s work just fine with a twinset.

NickPicks likes this.
  8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Whilst DST or Tec3 first stages give better hose routing I never thought the routing on my DS4s was bad enough to warrant the extra cost.

jb2cool and Harvey-NG like this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Even the "designed for twinset" Tec3's aren't that wonderful with hose routing as two hoses end up with sharp bends in them (BCD inflate from RHS and backup reg from LHS). Never been an issue for me though.