1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What accessories do you carry

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Gasman, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Gasman

Gasman New Member

I havnt made my first dive yet. That will happin next week albeit in a pool. I am yet to build my kit but I was wondering what accessory couldnt you be without. Putting aside essentials.

2. John F

John F Active Member

Hi,
    For me, I will not dive without a DSMB, I have a small knife and an Ammonite line cutter and a good torch.
    It’s very easy to load yourself up with all sorts to things, especially when you are starting off, all you are doing is giving yourself more to think about and increasing your workload. So keep it simple and just take the essentials.
    John.

Gasman likes this.
  3. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t know where to start. I need it all even the rusty out of test never gonna pass cylinders in the shed. Honestly buy your kit to get you diving and then buy what you need as you go.

Gasman and John F like this.
  4. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'd say it depends on the diving your doing. As your starting out, there's very little that's essential beyond the basics. So ignoring regs, fins, bcd, exposure protection, computer, the only extras I'd take would be a cutting device and maybe a torch, add a compass once your ready. Once you're in the sea and diving off boats add a dsmb and learn how to use them.

Beyond that as your dives require more commitment, you start needing to add redundancy in things that you need to get back to the surface, mask, computer, air source, etc.

I personally wouldn't even think about cameras or go pros etc until your comfortable with buoyancy, trim and awareness of your surroundings.

Get used to the basics first, add one thing and practice with it until you're competent then add something else.

I guess like most of us, you'll end up getting shiny gear syndrome and buy stuff you don't need. Nothing wrong with that, but personally, if I'd have asked more experienced divers and on forums I'd have definitely saved a few quid and not bought so much tat. It is fun buying gear though.

5. Gasman

Gasman New Member

Much appreciate your advice. I do tend to surf the online shops the temptation is great. Ive looked at torches,knives and cameras and not bought regs or dry suit yet

6. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

It depends on what diving you're doing. I agree with everything Splinter said.

I'll add a guideline for diving: "If you don't need it, don't take it. If you do need it, take two!"

Things I don't tend to dive without are:
    Kent Tooling Reel with CO2 dSMB
    2 Trilobite line cutters, shears and a small knife
    A torch (2 on deeper dives)

I'd say don't buy anything yet (apart from basics of mask, suit and fins).
    Lots of peoplle go ahead and buy loads of stuff that they end up replacing

7. Gasman

Gasman New Member

Thanks , so far Ive bought Apeks mask and fins. Probably wont use fins till I dive around UK, Snorkel and rash vest. . Regs will be on my list after much research followed by drysuit.

8. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

You don't need to do any research for regulators to use in the UK. Just go to 4th Element/Just Apeks and buy a set of Apeks ATX40s
    As recommended by many many threads on diving forums.

9. splinter

splinter Active Member

Regs is easy, Apeks DS4 and ATX40. Read any thread on here about regs and that'll be the almost unanimous answer.

You're doing OW next weekend right? Get the course out of the way, see how it goes and take it from there. Are you doing dry suit alongside OW?

10. splinter

splinter Active Member

Haha. ^^see what I mean

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Depends on how self-sufficient you are and need to be. At one end of the self-sufficiency spectrum, you're diving in a strict buddy pair where you help each other out and do everything you can to not get separated. If you do, then you will need your own SMB so you can safely ascend after looking for your buddy for a minute. Aside from the SMB, you'll need a line cutter in case you get caught on fishing line/netting (knives aren't as good at cutting netting as a trilobite style cutter -- need another thread on that) and a torch (UK diving's normally quite dark).

If you're at the other end of the spectrum, diving alone or with considerable decompression obligations, you must be substantially or completely self-sufficient. Kit would include a spare mask, several cutting devices, two computers, compass (or two), primary and backup torch(es), two or three SMBs on reels or spools, spool or reel of line so you can find your way back somewhere or search for people/things, plenty of redundant gas, etc.

The good news is in the beginning you don't need much beyond your normal kit. As -- or if -- your diving progresses it does get more expensive!

Couple of recommendations:

12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I don't consider any of the things listed above "accessories" as they are all essential.

For me, the one thing I could never do without was a team mate or mates that I trust. They could save your life one day. Or stand the first round, which is equally important....

Big Joe, Dave Whitlow and NickPicks like this.